Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
Are you inviting us to come and hunt with you or is that Eye candy? I never see Turkeys around here where I live but once in a great while I will hear one off in the woods

Deaconllb

·
23,845 Posts
Are you inviting us to come and hunt with you or is that Eye candy? I never see Turkeys around here where I live but once in a great while I will hear one off in the woods

Deaconllb
Off topic, but glad you're still here.

·
Super Moderator
10,839 Posts
Looking good! I got them plentiful here (Mims, FL) in both winter (deer & turkey) and spring (turkey) seasons, but ordinarily, I leave them alone. I like watching them scratch their way along and reacting to the woodland environment. They're great for passing the time. I guess I'm weird for that.

From a specific perspective, they're like shooting fish in a barrel. Easy to decoy and no pressure here breeds more resource. If the pigs are scarce, or seriously nocturnal, I might consider shooting one in late March or early April though I have to be careful where I set up to hunt turkey. They're very good about sucking up my newly planted seed and will remain for a while under the corn feeder, near which merely targeting a turkey is illegal, if I am within one hundred yards of any bait.

Baiting turkey is a definite no-no. Fair chase is the ticket.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good! I got them plentiful here (Mims, FL) in both winter (deer & turkey) and spring (turkey) seasons, but ordinarily, I leave them alone. I like watching them scratch their way along and reacting to the woodland environment. They're great for passing the time. I guess I'm weird for that.

From a specific perspective, they're like shooting fish in a barrel. Easy to decoy and no pressure here breeds more resource. If the pigs are scarce, or seriously nocturnal, I might consider shooting one in late March or early April though I have to be careful where I set up to hunt turkey. They're very good about sucking up my newly planted seed and will remain for a while under the corn feeder, near which merely targeting a turkey is illegal, if I am within one hundred yards of any bait.

Baiting turkey is a definite no-no. Fair chase is the ticket.
Those in the pics are scratching around in a chufa

patch , they love it , like a fat kid loves candy . Got a new pack of coyotes moved in spooking the **** out of them ..No pigs here to worry about yet . Spring season hunting only here.

·
Super Moderator
10,839 Posts
Easter Dinner at mcbamer's on Sunday!

I went turkey hunting this morning too. Saw hens. No Toms. Nice morning though.

Shot a feral cat at 20-minutes to dawn while walking in to set up this morning, one I didn't know (till last night) was even there. Trail Camera pictures retrieved last night showed me two feral cats have shown up...and now there is one. The turkeys are a little bit more secure.

·
Registered
674 Posts

Have them on my game cameras a lot. Of course when the season comes in they are hard to find. I took this Tom this morning at 8:15. It took about 20 minutes to call him in. Some days you just have to be lucky.

Jim

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Have them on my game cameras a lot. Of course when the season comes in they are hard to find. I took this Tom this morning at 8:15. It took about 20 minutes to call him in. Some days you just have to be lucky.

Jim
Nice bird , I keep my camera on video mode most of the time , Season goes out in a few days ,May 3rd . Its been a bad season weather wise ,cold & windy . maybe these last few days will be nice .

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice bird , I keep my camera on video mode most of the time , Season goes out in a few days ,May 3rd . Its been a bad season weather wise ,cold & windy . maybe these last few days will be nice .
Weather has been off and on here too. They are calling for rain for the next week or so. I have the option of hunting out of a blind so the rain isn’t to bad as long as it’s light. It’s the wind that comes with it that shuts them down around here.

Good luck and stay dry.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts