Graybeard Outdoors banner

Sorting cases

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  T/C nimrod 
#1 ·
I have 1000 once fired .223 cases , I was going to sort by headstamp and then by weight ,
When you sort by weight what is the tolerance of a group ? I know this varys by individual but is there a general guide line??

#2 ·
Sort by headstamp, trim to length, do primer pockets, and go load. It is not worth the extra time to weight, unless you are going for some super small group, and even then, some say it is a waste of time.

Just a nickels worth from someone who's wasted the time and read about other who have also.

Steve

#4 ·
Gramps and Steve P. have valid points, but it may be worth your while to weigh cases. Determine the average weight of the 1000 shells. Take 10, weigh'em, find your "average"weight. Then go maybe +/- 2-3 grns. set your scale at your highest limit and set aside anything measuring heavy. Do the same thing on the low end. 1000 shells will take you somewhere around 20-25 minutes this way. I know some people that weigh each case individually for its own weight - this will take you FOREVER. But just like they said - then you'll be weighing bullets, primers, looking at mirage boards and windage flags at the range.

I'll take the time to weigh cases, bullets, (never weighed primers, I'll have to try that!) and trickle load all my handloads simply because I enjoy the hobby - you'll get good results without the hassle. This practice "hotrods" an already good load if you've done your homework. Good Luck to Ya!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.