Graybeard Outdoors banner

Source for nickle plated 45LC???

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  1860 
#1 ·
I decided to load my RV rounds in brass and my rifle in nickle so I can tell them apart. Where can I find nickle plated brass?
thanks

#2 ·
Remington makes nickled brass in .45 Colt. It's what use fer my "belt rounds" to prevent green verdigris form forming on brass 'n leather. Most any shop that carries reloading supplies should either have some in stock or be able to order sum fer ya!

BTW, my personal experiance with nickled brass in .45 Colt wuzn't good. They seem to split faster because nickle is HARD and not "stretchy". The nickle plate seems to want to split and take the brass with it when it duz. :eek: But they dew look good in the belt loops! 8)

#4 ·
Did you try Starline??? They are great people to deal with .
Also just what I have seen . Nickel is more expinsive so I have used it in my pistols and regular brass in my rifle because I get to keep my pistol brass !Rifle only get what the brass picker brings me and at the large matches one does not get to keep any rifle brass at all !!! That hurts.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Hope this helps
Pete

#5 ·
I cannot help but feel any problem you've had related to nickle plated brass was either related to that particular lot having defects or to your gun or sizer die.

The reason I say this is I've been using nickle plated brass in .38 Special and .357 Magnum operating at higher pressures than your .45 Colt loads likely are for perhaps 35 years. I've never noticed them splitting any more frequently or sooner than plain brass does. In fact I have cases of both rounds that have been loaded so many times most of the nickle has worn (NOT FLAKED) off and the cases now look more brass than nickle and they are still going fine. I've loaded some of these cases well over 100 times.

In general there ain't nuttin wrong with nickle plated cases and I've used them from RP, WW, Federal, S&W, Speer and others.

Now I do agree that Starline cases are as good as it comes and generally can be purchased a wee bit cheaper than most others.

GB

#7 ·
Marshal Graybeard,

I know exactly wat yer talkin about. I don't have much splitting with my .357/.38 Special nickled brass. And like you, I have .357 stuff that was loaded HOT for hunting with that I've reloaded more times than I have records to check. But I got a LOT of it with .45 Colt stuff. In asking around at matches and other sights I found that this was the rule rather than the exception. It seems that the larger surface area around the circumfrence of the .45 has always been more prone to splitting, in part because of the crimp. Which might explain why my .45ACP stuff nickled doesn't seem to be prone to the same behaviour.

#8 ·
I shoot both .38 and .45, I definately notice more and faster splitting on nickle coated brass. If I'm shooting somewhere and not likely to recover my empties, I use nickle. Alot of it depends on how hard you work the brass during reloading, and to a lesser extent, the brand of the brass. Remington lasts longer than Winchester for me, brass shells that is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.