Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least that is what it says on the cover of this weeks Outdoor News! If Mr. Anti Pataki signs it, you'll be able to use rifles in Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chenango, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Oswego, Otsego, Schoharie and Tioga Counties as well as rural parts of Broome County. It passed both houses of the state Legislature! Lets hope he get off his dead *ss and signs it!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Oh Happy Day!!! Now thousands of guys who know absolutly nothing about rifles will run to Dicks, or Gander Mountain and get talked into buying 7mm and .300 magnums. They will all be out there on the new SATURDAY opener popping away at deer 400 or more yards off. Oh happy day!!! :roll:
Alot of guys I know have been hunting 30 years or more and have never fired a centerfire rifle.
Sorry, but I don't want to be in the woods when they do!

·
1,876 Posts
You're already in the woods with guys who are using in-line muzzleloaders that have a range far greater than most any slug gun out there as well as people using Encore/Contender "handguns" that have a range only slightly shorter than their longer barreled cousins.

I am hoping that when this bill is approved that hunters use the same safety guidelines that they follow now when using a slug gun. Any hunter worth their merit should know their target and what is beyond.

Rifle hunting has worked in PA for years and their accident rate is similar to NY State's.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ramrod said:
Oh Happy Day!!! Now thousands of guys who know absolutly nothing about rifles will run to Dicks, or Gander Mountain and get talked into buying 7mm and .300 magnums. They will all be out there on the new SATURDAY opener popping away at deer 400 or more yards off. Oh happy day!!! :roll:
Alot of guys I know have been hunting 30 years or more and have never fired a centerfire rifle.
Sorry, but I don't want to be in the woods when they do!
You mean the same thousands of guys that grab their shotgun opening day after it sat in the closet from the previous season. That don't really know s**t about them either. It can be scary.

·
Registered
354 Posts
WNY_Whitetailer said:
You're already in the woods with guys who are using in-line muzzleloaders that have a range far greater than most any slug gun out there as well as people using Encore/Contender "handguns" that have a range only slightly shorter than their longer barreled cousins.

I am hoping that when this bill is approved that hunters use the same safety guidelines that they follow now when using a slug gun. Any hunter worth their merit should know their target and what is beyond.

Rifle hunting has worked in PA for years and their accident rate is similar to NY State's.
I've been a proponent of rifle for a long time. I do hunt with all three right now shotgun, contender pistol and muzzleloader. I'm hoping this bill is passed. The safety risk maybe slightly elevated but if "COMMON SENSE" is practiced there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I hope Gov. Pataki sees it that way and signs the bill before licenses come out.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
WNY_Whitetailer, I know all about the Encores and Contenders, not 1 hunter in 100 uses them. And most handgun hunters here in NY are dedicated and practiced shooters. The muzzleloaders have very little if at all more range than a modern sabot shotgun slug. I don't worry about either group. It's those "thousands of guys that grab their shotgun opening day after it sat in the closet from the previous season" folks str8shooter48 just mentioned, who will all be re-arming with .xxx(name your caliber) Winchester Short Magnums because thats what the guy at Dick's says you need that scare me. It's not like anyone is going to drag Grampa's old .30-30 out of the closet, grampa used a shotgun too.

The reason rifles have always been banned in these counties was that they were much more populated than the Catskills, or the Adirondacks, and the terrain was flatter. What has changed? This thing is all about money, the state needs to sell more hunting liscences, safety be damned. Look at all the state and county sales tax revenue on those new gun sales, and the state's share of the Pittman-Robinson excise tax.

By the way, str8shooter48, common sense seems to be a rare commodity nowadays.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Me personally, I like the idea. The area around Fort Drum has exploded with people the last 15 years or so. Population wise, its probably just as if not more populated then any other suburban type county in upstate NY. They have always been able to use rifles up there! I don't recall them having anymore trouble in that area then any other area. Most states let you use what ever firearm you want to use, they could care less. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If things go as usual for me, I will have some venison before the southern zone opener. So if this thing passes, come opening day I think I will just parade along the road in full camo with my shorty AR-15 on my back. It will be a legal hunting outfit. I hope I can scare enough people into writing their state representatives to repeal this stupid mistake.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ramrod said:
If things go as usual for me, I will have some venison before the southern zone opener. So if this thing passes, come opening day I think I will just parade along the road in full camo with my shorty AR-15 on my back. It will be a legal hunting outfit. I hope I can scare enough people into writing their state representatives to repeal this stupid mistake.
As much as I hate any kind of restrictions. Thats the kind of mentality that makes me wish they would put restrictions on the use of semi automatic rifles during deer season in these areas. The scary part there's probrably a lot of people that think their shorty AR-15 is a perfectly fine for deer hunting :cry:

Heres a quote from one of your prior post: "By the way, str8shooter48, common sense seems to be a rare commodity nowadays". Your quote above is a prime example of lack of common sense. Us hunters have to band together. The Anti's just love to hear and see s**t like that.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ramrod said:
You're a pretty efficient thinker there Ramrod. You can kill two birds with one stone. You can turn people off on "hunting" and "assault weapons" all in one act! Don't forget to use "five round magazines", I would hate to see you get in trouble! :bye:

·
1,876 Posts
Ramrod said:
I wish you would have taken the time to think this statement out before you put it out in the internet for everyone to see. Good luck getting your deer before the opener as I assume you will be taking to the woods with archery equipment. I would hate to think that one as astute as yourself would not sink to poaching. :?

I used to think that allowing rifles in some Southern Zone Counties would be a bad idea until I did a little research into hunting in PA. They have had rifle hunting there for many a moon and their accident rate is very close to NY States if not better.

It would be my hope that any hunting taking to the woods with a new firearm take the time to become proficient with that weapon regardless his of her choice of hardware. That goes for any hunting implement not just rifles.

BTW, the effective range of an in-line muzzleloader loaded with 150 grains of Pyrodex is greater than any sabot loaded rifled bore shotgun.

Let's all be careful out there with what we do and how we speak and act...The Anti's are lurking

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
WNY_Whitetailer, you are missing my point when you bring up PA. They have a long tradition of rifle hunting. This part of NY has none. Most of the guys here will run to Wall Mart, Dicks, or Gander Mountain and due to their ignorance they will buy what the gun rags have been pushing lately. This likely means alot of Winchester Short Magnums will be in the woods in the hands of alot of inexperianced rifleman. A dangerous scenario in my opinion. I don't even want to think about the road hunters! :shock:
And I could care less about any anti's lurking here. Personally, I almost think it would be better to ban deer hunting in the southern tier than to put centerfire rifles in the hands of some of the BOZOS I see hunting around here. :cry:
If you guys don't like my opinions, too freakin' bad. I'm not the only person in this part of the state that thinks this is a bad idea. I just believe in speaking up. Hunters sticking together my *ss. :p :p :p

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yeah, Mona, maybe. Or maybe you have to resort to personal attacks because you have nothing intelligent to add to the discussion.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Nimrod,Im responding to you because you stated you were going to try to give rifle hunters in your area a bad rep by walking up the road with an assultrifle trying to scare people...I wish your neighbors knew what kind of idiot you were so they could keep an eye on you,and if you are presaeson poaching I hope they catch you and throw the book at ya.Im willing to bet 99% of the people you are ranting about buying rifles have better shooting ethics and more common sense than you do,you should worry about you and your friends not the guys that get a chance to rifle hunt this year.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ramrod said:
Talk about adding a real unintelligent reply to the topic in this disscusion. Yours my friend takes the cake. As I see it the statement above really opens door for criticizm from people on both side of the bill.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Easy with the personally attacks guys. I'm not a moderator, but I really don't want them getting involved if you know what I mean!

In Ramrods defense there are a few ways he can legally hunt deer before the southern zone regular gun season opens. The northern zones regular gun season opens almost a month before the southern zone does. Then there is archery and black powder that opens before regular gun seasons in both zones.

Everyone IS entitled to their opinion on this and everything else for that matter! :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts