Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago I bought a spatchcock chicken out of the bargain freezer at the grocery store.

I had the instructions on how to cook it in an oven so I used those over wood coals.
Turned out uuummm uuummm good.
I am going to spatchcock another one my self and try it again.

·
22,493 Posts
had to do a web search. Id never heard of it. Been doing all my whole chickens in the air fryer. Might have to try splitting one and cooking it on the grill. Just go a new grill and its starting to get warmer outside.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I'm ahead of Lloyd having heard of it but had no ides what it actually was so to google I went and now I know. Looks like it would be good.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I cut my chickens in half and grill them. Never thought of that method. I’m gonna give it a try. Thanks...

·
9,530 Posts
Probably my favorite way to cook whole chickens until I got a rotisserie. I even spatchcocked a small turkey once. It came out great also!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I do that for my electric wood chip smoker. I have two chickens in the freezer now that I was going to do last week but I got called back into work,

Bruce

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Spatchcock is my favorite way to do chicken (especially homegrown) and turkey, do it every year for Thanksgiving that way on the smoker. The big advantage is that it cooks far more evenly than doing a whole bird, especially for larger birds. You also get more smoke/grill flavor throughout.

Simple to do, cut out backbone with a sheer and then push down on breast to break breast bone, truss the legs, tuck the wing tips and season.

This was last Thanksgiving bird.

Attachments

·
22,493 Posts
wow that looks good!!!
Spatchcock is my favorite way to do chicken (especially homegrown) and turkey, do it every year for Thanksgiving that way on the smoker. The big advantage is that it cooks far more evenly than doing a whole bird, especially for larger birds. You also get more smoke/grill flavor throughout.

Simple to do, cut out backbone with a sheer and then push down on breast to break breast bone, truss the legs, tuck the wing tips and season.

This was last Thanksgiving bird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts