Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys remember the cardboard inserts that were used in the '50s (maybe early '60s) to separate the large biscuits of Nabisco Shredded Wheat? This was when shredded wheat biscuits did not come individually wrapped. Each box held maybe 2 or 3 cards that separated the layers of shredded wheat, my recollection is fuzy. Each card was numbered and displayed details of one or more Injun craft and tricks. There were several series with maybe 25 cards per series. As a kid and lover of shredded wheat I did my best to keep Nabisco in business. I collected a bunch and have them stored somewheres. If I can find them I'll share some of the details.
Wayne

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
TexasMac said:
Any of you guys remember the cardboard inserts that were used in the '50s (maybe early '60s) to separate the large biscuits of Nabisco Shredded Wheat? This was when shredded wheat biscuits did not come individually wrapped. Each box held maybe 2 or 3 cards that separated the layers of shredded wheat, my recollection is fuzy. Each card was numbered and displayed details of one or more Injun craft and tricks. There were several series with maybe 25 cards per series. As a kid and lover of shredded wheat I did my best to keep Nabisco in business. I collected a bunch and have them stored somewheres. If I can find them I'll share some of the details.
Wayne
TexasMac,
If you were close to my age (very old) you remember exciting radio series as a kid, like the Lone Ranger, Tom Mix, Sky King, etc. They were sponsored by the breakfast cereals. This one was called " Straight Arrow", sponsored by Nabisco Shreaded Wheat. And, as you stated, they used to put ole' Straight Arrows' Indian tricks on each divider cardboard. Learned how to read my first animal tracks from these, and pile rocks on the trail to tell my comrades where I was headin'.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Re: pile of rocks

boneguru said:
is that called a cairn?
Might be but I don't think 'ole Straight Arrow knew about 'em. Didn't the old BoyScout Handbooks have Indian Rockpiling merit badges???

Jim

·
Registered
267 Posts
Did you get your straight arrow ring?I remember filling an envelope with my change and the necessary box tops only to have the mailman bring it back that afternoon.I thought the three cent stamp was sufficient!Its sure been a long time since I have heard of straight arrow, and I clearly remember all of those half hours glued to the GE radio.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I called my young boss Kemosabe a few weeks ago. He got upset and thought I was cussing him in some foreign language or something. I asked him if he ever watched the Lone Ranger on tv when he was growing up.He said What? The WRONG RANGER??? I had to explain to him that their was an indian guy on the show that had a Lone Texas Ranger for a boss.He would call his boss KEMOSABE...I think it is an old indian word out of respect for ones boss. I didn't ask him anything else about his childhood...not even if he had heard of SKY KING(from Nabisco).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boy you guys bring back some memories! I hadn't thought of Straight Arrow in probably 60 years or more.
I am going to my 50th high school class reunion in Sept.
30gman

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
you guys must have been with me on the committee that named dirt.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'am not saying I'am old, but ::) I remember Stright Arrow, Hoppy, Red Rider (both who I met as a kid) Intersanktum (sp), Nabisco shredded wheat. Cap, Midnight. (yes I had a decoder ring) Bad part some of my friends are so old when it was said "Let their be light" they were the electricins. ??? ???

Gun Runner

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Hello Big Dave,
There are various, mostly spurious, sources that say the Lone Ranger was the only survivor of a group of Texas rangers. Found by Tonto and nursed to health the Lone Ranger put on a mask to hide his identity and track down the bushwhackers. If so Kemosabe could be a corruption of "Quien sabe ?" or Who knows? in border spanish. This could refer to an unknown identity or be a slur on someone who can't name his father with any accuracy. The latter translation was featured in a Flatt & Scruggs song "Waterloo"

The Lone Ranger and Tonto rode the trails
Catching outlaws and putting them in jails.

The Lone Ranger shot old Tonto cause it seems
He found out what Kemosabe means

blindhari

·
Registered
456 Posts
Following this thread got me wondering just what Kemosabe meant ? Been hearing and saying it for 60 years, but was never sure.

According to Wikapedia, Some of the books said Tonto was an Apache, and kemosabe (Sometimes spelled Quimo Sabe) had a duel meaning in the language of his tribe. Faithful friend, and, Trusty Scout.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Isn't it amazing how you all have gone from listening to radio shows to google on your computer. I'm only 46 but I was always in awe of my grandparents because they saw the turn of the century!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well we too saw the turn of another century!! I am still waiting for my ring!! :-[ ;D

I didn't know Tonto was Apache? Are there Apaches in Texas?? Comanches yes....

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
The man who played Tonto was a Mohawk, stage name Jay Silverheels ( I believe Canadian) who seemed to dress as a northern plains Indian. His real name was Harold Smith. He was an accomplished actor for many years. Some contemporary critics have called him the Indian Uncle Tom, but he broke ground for native american actors to follow him. How a northern plains Indian wound up in Texas was something I never figured out from the series.

blindhari

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Who you callin OLD, just because i've still got my ranger joe ranch mug from a puffed wheat "shot from guns" cereal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
hummer said:
Well we too saw the turn of another century!! I am still waiting for my ring!! :-[ ;D

I didn't know Tonto was Apache? Are there Apaches in Texas?? Comanches yes....
The Lipan Apaches were located exclusively in Texas. The Mescalero and Jicarilla also claimed small parts of West Texas and the Panhandle respectively.
Oops..been handled already.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts