Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a decent spotting scope available for around $300 that is clear, capable of resolving .22 holes at 100 yds, .30 cal holes @ 300 yards, and has is angled up where you look through it?

I know nothing of spotting scopes, and when I get on some of these websites I get confused. I see body prices and lens prices, and the total seems always more than I can pay at this point. I don't even know how much magnification I will need, but the above objectives will give you an idea of what I am doing.

A case would be necessary, I already have a Bogen tripod.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Shrink,

Here is a reply that I recently gave to another member:

I'll give you exactly what your looking for as I too am in the same market as you.

BUSHNELL ELITE 15X-45X-60MM W/ RAINGUARD SPOTTING SCOPE. [/color]

I have borrowed this spotting scope from a friend and I LOVE IT. Go to www.dnrsports.com and see if they have it. Most stores sell them for a little bit over $500, but I'm sure that dnrsports, if they have them, will be much less.

You may also want to consider the Nikon Spotter XL [/color]in the same power range. It's less expensive than the Elite, but it doesn't have rainguard, and I think that a spotting scope with Rainguard is a major plus.

Zachary

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zachary

Looks like it's got everything but the angled viewscope.

Coleman had one but has stopped selling it. I'm told that it will be back the end of January under a new name, Coleman was not the manufacturer. Does anyone know anything about this one? It seemed too good to be true, scope, tripod, and case for about $200, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Dr. Shrink,
Last September, my wife gave me a Bushnell "Sentry" model spotting scope w/ armor coating. That is the type you are looking for w/ 45' bent eyepiece. It has variable power 18-36X50mm, with tripod (no case) about $150 here in Central NY State.

It has been a good scope for its intended use, but I doubt if it will distinguish 22 cal. holes at 100yds. (50yds. maybe!) unless you were to use those targets with the flat-black painted surface over the bright flourescent green background. Those targets are great for seeing the hits!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts