Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a copy of a pamphlet the other day that said they were going to legalize spring migratory bird hunting in Alaska. Does anyone have any more information about this? The pamphlet says it is a subsistence hunt but it allows people to hunt all kinds of birds other than waterfowl. They said it was legal to hunt lapland longspurs to name one. I looked one up in the bird book and it looks like they have the size and nutritional value of a sparrow. Whats up with this?

PA-18

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe it has to do with legalizing what the natives have long been doing in terms of their traditional hunting of birds in the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Sounds correct.

The natives of Alaska have hunted waterfowl in the spring since the beginning. The justification for them to hunt to the Feds, was subsistance, "Change of Diet". As far as I know it is still illegal for a non-native to hunt in the spring.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Spring ducks

It appears there is a conflict between Fed regulations and State. Its created a bit of confusion. Check out the Anchorage Daily News website. They had some articles on it in the last few days. The traditional folks will keep doing what they've always done. Hope it gets sorted out so no one is burned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lets put it all in a nut shell it is now leagl for people to hunt on fedral lands for waterfowl in the spring the State steped in last week and once again put the screws to those of us living in the bush and said no we say this is against the constitution but we are not going to enforce it so we are currently activley hunting waterfowl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts