Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 1911 back from Springfield Arms. I split the barrel somehow, locking it up completely, so I sent it back, warranty does not cover reloads. It took only 2 weeks to repair and the cost was $100 for the labor, new barrel and shipping back to AK. The original shipping was $41 to get it there.

Seems like pretty good service to me!

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Dave,
It would be of interest to me to know in what area the barrel failed. Did it split in the chamber/hood area, was it split lengthwise? Was it due to an overload or barrel obstruction? Any info you might care to share would be of interest.
Stay Safe,
Savage

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears

that the problem was at the end of the barrel, visiable from the muzzle only. Their claim was a squib load but I saw three holes in the target, one after each shot. Don't understand it. But maybe my memory is incorrect and I had three holes at the end of the shooting.

Either way I had a locked up gun and a split barrel. Luckily I did no other damage to the gun or me. I was working up from a starter load, obviously to light of one! I just got my .445 barrel for my Contender so I should be able to do some serious mistakes now. :lol:

I was near you last Wednesday, went to Dicks in Fairmount. Quick trip back east. Did you know that a Bass Pro Shop is going into Auburn this fall?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Dave,
With the damage you discribed it does sound like a barrel obstruction caused the fireworks. Did you have to hand cycle that final round into the chamber? Surely a squib wouldn't cycle the action.
StaY Safe,
Savage

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes

Only one round cycled the action, the other two times I had to hand-cycle the action.

I wish they had sent the barrel back but I was happy with the results as I could have done more damage.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
A couple of days a go I was helping a friend set up his new progressinve press. We loaded 5 rounds with the powder measure turned off. I fired the rounds (or tried) only one made it out the muzzle of his Pro Carry. That was with primer only. Winchester LP in .45ACP. As an old reloader I have learned that if it don't sound right check the bore before the next shot! I had a problem a couple of years ago with inconsistent power with my reloads. Almost drove me crazy before I found the little piece of foam seal from the top of the powder jug in the bottom of the powder measure!
Stay Safe,
Savage

1 - 6 of 6 Posts