Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying a certain trapdoor rifle. The firing pin appears to be frozen? Is this going to be a big deal to free up? Other wise the gun looks pretty good. Well, the barrel looks bad. Could be in dire need of cleaning, owner says he has never fired it. I assume these things can be rebarreled.
Any comments appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Without seeing the weapon, it would be hard for anyone to give you a fair evaluation. They can be re barreled if the rest of the rifle is worth the investment. Ask the person if you can have it evaluated by a gunsmith you trust before you waste a lot of money.

C F

·
Registered
557 Posts
If it is a 45-70 it can be rebarreled. Many of them have been and not always back to 45-70.

If it is a 50-70, it might have a threaded barrel but it might not.

A frozen pin, if lightly frozen is no big deal.

There are a lot of places to get parts, original and reproduction.

Heck, even if the bore doesn't clean up to mirror brightness, it might still be a good shooter.

Attached is a picture of my 50-70.

·
Registered
557 Posts
longcaribiner,

The were many period conversions of the trapdoor to those cartridges, and others sharing the 45-70 case head and length.

Even some "sporterized" conversions.

I have seen two, both in 40-65, and the stock on one was not unlike a modern stock. It was an English conversion. I wish I had photos.

There really is nothing new, just old ideas recycled.

By the way, my 50-70 was made from an italian 1841 Jager or Mississippi Rifle, (see above photo)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Another alternative for a worn out barrel or corroded bore is to have it relined, which is a lot cheaper than rebarreling.

Wayne

1 - 6 of 6 Posts