Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally sent my Springfield back to the company to be repaired. I was at the range one day shooting some starter loads at the bottom of the load chart. Round one hardly ejected the case. Round two I had to move the slide back myself. Round three frooze the gun up. All three shots hit the target.

Upon inspection back at the house I notice the barrel had split at the end.
A cleaning rod can be inserted and there is nothing in the barrel back to where the end of the case should be.

So I sent it back to Springfield and they say a squib load caused the damage. I need a new barrel for $100.

It just does not sound right to me unless a bullet had lodged in the barrel and one was fired afterwards causing the damage.

What do you gun doctors out there think? :money:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes, a squib load could have left a bullet lodged in the bore and the next round shot them both out. Since the split is at the end, I'd guess that the stuck bullet was near the very end of the barrel. For barrel obstructions caused by a squid load where the bullet is lodged in the middle, the next round usually caused a severe bulge, followed by the cycling slide then jamming the bulged barrel into the barrel bushing, REALLY locking things up.

Whenever the report of firing does not sound right, or there is incomplete cycling of the slide, one should stop and investigate why, and check the bore for obstructions. Also, typically handloaded ammunition voids the manufacturer's warranty so you use handloaded ammo at your own risk. Of course a squib load can happen with factory ammo but it is a rare event (except TZZ Match .45 Ball when it was first introduced into the military supply system. Their AVERAGE powder charge was ok, though!)

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever

the results weren't what I had expected. I was working up a load for a cast 230 grain bullet and started at the low end of the chart. Maybe I will start in the middle next time. :shock:

Thanks for the replys.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Squib loads

Dave: I think you got very lucky this time. I think you had a squib load that lodged in the barrel and the slug that followed created the pressure to fracture your barrel.

I have found that most 230 gran loads for the 45 find their best accuracy at around 825-830'/sec. The old load of 5.5 of Unique behind that bullet was the Lyman favorite. With that in mind, I always load for accuracy or factory velocity duplication. The only time I go to the low end of powder charges is when I'm using heavier bullets. Sorry about your barrel Buddy, but I'm danged glad the damage didn't include your eyes, face or fingers. Dang, then ya'll woulda gone frum bein' Ironknees to Steelfingers. Glad that didn't happen. Mikey.

ps: don't do that again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.