Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried squirrel hunting with a pistol? I have a .22 revolver with a six inch barrell that is extremely accurate. I was just thinking the other day what it would be like to hunt squirrel with it. I'd have to be closer to them that a rifle but it could be interesting. Anyone ever done it?

I don't even know if it's legal...just a thought.

·
Administrator
26,113 Posts
Yup lots have. I reckon I did it first something like 40+ years ago. Been doing it since. Works as well as your ability to place the bullets where they need to go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to try it sometime. I've never pistol hunted anything so I would think it's quite a challenge.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just recently (20060 acquired my NYS handgun permit (20060 and shot my first squirrel this year with a pistol (Browning Buck mark.) What fun! It made the 22 yard shot challenging (at least for me!) I am carrying a .357 this year during deer season, hopefully I'll get a close range deer opportunity.
Will

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a 10" Contender in .22 LR Match, topped with a Simmons 4x, that loves Remington Sub-Sonics. It's been a great squirrel pistol. My favorite time to hunt squirrels is after deer season and on a day when the leaves are wet so I can sneak around better. I recently acquired a Ruger Mark II Target that will have it's chance soon. I haven't carried my .22 A-bolt rifle squirrel hunting in several years now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
that's what I usually use.
I currently use a browning buckmark with a red dot on top.

I've also used a S&W .22 revolver and an airgun for real close shots.

I like using a handgun better as I can swing it faster and shoot to either left or right side of me while sitting without twisting my body in ways it wasn't designed to

·
Registered
928 Posts
I love hunting squirrels, or any other small game for that matter with a good single action. Here's some I got last season with my 32 magnum, and my home cast bullets.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hunting squirrels and other small game with a handgun is a great way to hone your shooting skills. My favorite guns for this are my S&W K-22, K-38 ( with HBWC ), Contender with 22 match barrel, and more recently my old Mark 1 with it's new Tactical Solutions barrel w/ a Red Dot. I've hunted game for 40 years with a handgun and to me this is the most rewarding way to hunt.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
yep...a .31 cal baby dragoon. black powder revolver.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i have hunted them with .357 mags and .45 colts with very light cast handloads, and assorted rimfires. squirrel hunting with pistols is a lot of fun and a great way to help hone your skills.

·
Registered
700 Posts
My favorite way to hunt em. I use a Tender in 22LR and also one in 17MACH2. When thier on the groud I like the Encore in 22Hornet.

The Hornet also double as aTurkey pistol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love to hunt them with handguns. I use scopes that allow me to take head shots out to 50 yards or so. I use a contender in 22LR (10"), 17mach2 (14"), or a ruger Mk2 semi-auto with the slab side 6 7/8" barrel. Its alot of fun, and brings back the challenge. Plus if you use a holster your hand free most of the time!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I used my .22 caliber S&W Model 41 which is very accurate. It was about 15 years ago when I was a more practiced pistol shot, and I can't remember if I used it with a scope sight or not. It has a 2.5X Leupold scope with Kimber bases and quick-detachable Kimber rings. It seems like I got four during a September morning's hunt. My recommendation is to be sure and wear camouflage clothes to get closer shots, and shoot from a steady position like sitting with arms resting on knees and two hands on the pistol.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Started doing so well over 40 years ago with a S&W Model 34 Kit Gun, Ruger Bearcat (and later a Super Bearcat) and a High Standard HD Military. Another favorite was a Colt New Frontier Buntline I got when they first came out around 1970, but I have used many other revolvers, pistols and single shots in many calibers since. Still have the Super Bearcat and HD Military, but as others have said, the 17M2 is hard to beat for them now days. One of my three 17M2's is a Contender/Bullberry 14", and the scope really helps old eyes.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm just not that good with a handgun, at least with the .22lr single action revolver. Tried it many years ago. Found a squirrel up a small sapling. Missed the first six rounds, reloaded, and missed again. He got mad and came down the tree right at me. My adrenalin was pumping me up so that I couldn't hardly reload. He almost ran down my arm as I emptied six more rounds at him. I think I may have deafened him. ;D :D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
.38 Special, and .32-20 have worked fine for me in the Model 10 S&W (M&P). Used the standard LRN bullets. Behind the shoulder and they just fall from the tree.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Be sure to wear camouflage as you may want to be a little closer than when hunting with a rifle. I've done it a couple times with my S&W model 41 and got several. That was a long time ago, but since pheasants have been so poor here thew last few years will probably try it again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, I sure do it. I use my Buckmark Varmint pistol in .22, with a 3X T/C scope. Nice for late season hunting when the leaves are gone and they are often on the ground.

dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
  These 4 took almost a entire day to get.....The limit here is 5 a day. If I had my Ruger .22 rifle I would have had my 5 in the first couple hours of the day:) I miss much more often this way, but find it so much more fun and rewarding chasing them with a handgun.

FYI: That pistol is a Taurus Tracker in .17hmr. Sometimes I use a .22 Ruger Hunter or .22 Browning Buckmark.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts