Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
24,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at picking one up. My mark III wont run subsonic reliably. Anyone know if one of these will?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My friend's SR22 is pretty picky, it doesn't run well with most brands of standard velocity ammo so I doubt it would work well with subs unless it was tuned for them.

·
24,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RWS 40 grain. Wonder if a guy could do it if he just clipped a coil or two from the mainspring.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Contrary to popular thinking, shortening a coil spring actually increases the spring 'weight' (on what is left) due to less coils (ie, length) taking the load. It really takes a smaller dia. wire rather than fewer coils.
Has it 'worked' for some applications? Yes, to a point. It has also not worked (I can attest to that) and left me 'hanging' until I source new springs.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I dont have RWS but do have Rem 22 Subsonic HPs; I did this test from a cold gun:
I ran 10 and the first one is dbl. action and was a FTE, thus did not feed another (seemed like it short stroked the slide), racked it and the rest fed and did fine. This is a low mileage gun, probably about 100rds through it. I had cleaned it well when new also, no maintenance since.
UPDATE(like 1 hr later): That 1st shot FTE troubled me so I just popped the first 5 rds of the regular carry ammo out of the same magazine, put in another 5 of those Remmys and did another dbl. action first shot, worked fine, and the other 4 followed up sgl. action fine again too.
YMMV with another brand as you well know.
Hmmmm, wonder what will happen if I only load 9 in the mag? More testing will be required (ie, the fun never ends ;D ).

·
24,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the first shot failure makes me scratch my head. my 1022 takedown does the same thing. Just about every time it bobbles on the first shot with subsonic. then will run a 25 round mag without a single choke. My 22/45 will do the same but will usualy choke again somewhere through the 10 round mag.
gcrank1 said:
I dont have RWS but do have Rem 22 Subsonic HPs; I did this test from a cold gun:
I ran 10 and the first one is dbl. action and was a FTE, thus did not feed another (seemed like it short stroked the slide), racked it and the rest fed and did fine. This is a low mileage gun, probably about 100rds through it. I had cleaned it well when new also, no maintenance since.
UPDATE(like 1 hr later): That 1st shot FTE troubled me so I just popped the first 5 rds of the regular carry ammo out of the same magazine, put in another 5 of those Remmys and did another dbl. action first shot, worked fine, and the other 4 followed up sgl. action fine again too.
YMMV with another brand as you well know.
Hmmmm, wonder what will happen if I only load 9 in the mag? More testing will be required (ie, the fun never ends ;D ).

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I tried again with only 9 in the mag, racked the slide to drop the top one in and dbl act fired. It ejected and picked up #2 and was ready to go.
Dropped the mag, topped it with a fresh one, racked, fired; this time it ejected but must have barely short stroked again, empty chamber under the slide.
Replay, this time it picked up #2. When I went to rack that unfired rd out it hung in the chamber. I pulled the slide full back and let 'er go, the hook got under the rim and it extracted fine.
Loaded it up with 10 Spitfire Hyper HPs (only have 3 boxes of them as an 'odd lot', Im not particularly fond of hypers)), 31gr. and it bopped them all off fine.
We dont have a lot of rounds thru it, and I like it a lot, a nice handful and the ergo options that come with are a nice addition. Great for carry due to the light weight, but I do not care for its safety lever, gotta go UP to hot (opposite my others). Maybe later with more break in it will do SS's? Truth is we shoot more sgl act revolver so who knows when I'll have 500rds thru it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts