Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can SS barrels be used on contender frames? I got mine in '93 and to my shame haven't really done all that much with it. Originally it was a super 14 chambered in 223, but I found that I just didn't have the temperament for varminting with a pistol so it's morphed into a carbine, with 22 lr and 223 barrels. I want to expand my barrel collection and seem to recall something about the SS barrels and frames not matching up? Was there a fix, or am I stuck with blue barrels?

Bob

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I think it's a matter of aesthetics. Stainless frames look nice with blue barrels, but personally, I don't like a blue frame with a stainless barrel.

Purely opinion, nothing to do with function. As mentioned above, the Armor Alloy barrels and frames have a coating on them that is pretty thick (relatively speaking) that keeps them from mating up to a standard frame.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a blued frame that occasionally wears a stainless 21" .22 K-Hornet barrel. I went with a stainless base and rings but my scope has a black finish. I also went with the black Rynite buttstock and fore-end. I think it looks pretty snazzy. Works just fine, too.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
ruger438 said:
the "armor alloy" barrels wont match, but blued and stainless are interchangable
....this is an unmodified AA frame, using a factory standard SS barrel and an unmodified pivot pin. Given the function test results it matches up well.

My gun, my parts.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The stock that 'plinker' posted is the same as my G2 stock. Factory TC wood.

The stock on my AA frame gun is a Gunstocks Inc that I sanded out and finished myself.

Both styles have a raised comb for scope use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.