Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first Canada Goose - tasty! Went out with a friend, borrowed his O/U, basically "borrowed" everything as it was his decoys, blind, boat, etc. Caught the bug, so I'm selling off some stuff to get a semi-auto shotgun, and going to try sporting clays to prepare for next year.

Anybody waterfowl with a 24" barreled semi-auto (3" 12ga)? same OAL as a 28" O/U, which was a nice size IMO in the blind and boat. Might be a handy length for deer, turkey, and other fowl as well. Not really wanting to collect guns like golf clubs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I did virtually all my waterfowl hunting with a Rem 870 Special trap model in 12 ga Higher comb, extra high rib, double beeds, 30" barrel.

Couple of points for you.

A They are WAY faster than any duck, Canadian Honkers, Snows, they MOVE. You need about 3x the lead, I learned this the hard way aiming at the lead bird, dropping the 3rd one back.

B Small shot sizes penitrate better. And instead of trying for body shots where they have all those feathers. Aim for heads.
I've shot honkers with all sizes of buckshot, rocked him good, then watch him fly away as buckshot dribbles out of the feathers.

But a load of Dueces or 4 to the head would drop them like a ton of bricks.

My partner and I were setup for decoying northern mallards. First 2 rounds were 4's, last was a duece.

Instead of ducks it was a small flock of Canadians that came in. Dropped 4 in 3 shots. My buddy is looking at me like "When did you turn into the goose killler?"

I picked up the empty's, saw the 4's and duces and was convinced for life.

Beyond 50 yards dueces or BB's, beyond 60 don't shoot.
That's what my goose hunting boils down to, hope it helps.

Also you can fool them once, never twice with the same trick.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
When I hunted birds I always used fives as that is the shot that gave me my best pattern.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
I grew up hunting geese and ducks on the Mississippi flyway and mostly used a 20 gauge with #4 lead shot.
This was because of mixed ducks/geese on one hunt.
If I was going to shoot geese in the late season when they were wilder, I'd use a 12 gauge with #2 lead shot.

Recipes; My mom would roast a goose sometimes but our favorite was skin it, stew it, grind it, and make goose salad sandwiches.
For ducks, they were skinned and stewed, meat pulled off the bone and mixed into a pan of dressing and baked.

·
Premium Member
5,135 Posts
That is the way we cooked all of our birds Doves, Ducks and Geese with homemade corn bread dressing onions, celery, sage, man it was good Good hot or cold.

Deaconllb

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
That is the way we cooked all of our birds Doves, Ducks and Geese with homemade corn bread dressing onions, celery, sage, man it was good Good hot or cold.

Deaconllb
Yep, duck and dressing sandwiches with a little mustard were great.:tango_face_smile:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Your 3" 12 gauge will be just fine with a modified choke barrel. Steel shot will group a little tighter than lead. I use a skeet barrel for foggy day layout shooting when the birds are close. Otherwise a modified choke. I found a full choke to tight for most of our shooting over decoys. Be patient and let them work in close and use a more open choke. Easier to hit them when they have slowed down and dropped their feet. Easier to retrieve too.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Glad to hear you caught the bug teamnelson, I did too a couple years ago. Geese and wood ducks are my favorite tasting followed by mallards and blacks. Don't be afraid to shoot mergansers either. They taste like crap normally but if you soak them in pineapple juice for a few days they taste as good as any other waterfowl. Ringneck ducks aren't bad either.

I was always a casual waterfowl hunter, I'd jump shoot ponds with my single shot 16 gauge or a Stevens 311 SXS in 16 gauge. That all changed when I got my first labrador retriever. I got him with the intention of mostly upland hunting but when the breeder did a demo on what fully trained duck dogs could do I got excited about training and was determined to have a finished waterfowl dog. He's 3 years old and well on his way to being a finished retriever. I also ended up getting a female lab as well, they're both from the same bitch. It's so much fun watching them go in the water and deliver my ducks to hand. I hunted both of them at the same time last season, they're very well behaved in the blind.

Last season I bought my first semi-auto 12 gauge. It's a Remington Versa Max. The barrel is 28" so it doesn't have the 24" barrel that you're looking for but if you want the softest recoiling 12 gauge out there this is the gun to buy. The gas system is designed to shoot anything from light 2 3/4" loads to heavy hitting 3 1/2" loads. Mine has been 100% reliable. I shoot trap with it every week and have shot everything from 7/8 oz. 2 3/4" light loads up to 1 1/2 oz. 3 1/2" BB goose loads at 1550 fps. I have bursitis in my shooting shoulder so I can't handle a lot of recoil but the recoil is so light I can actually handle the 3 1/2" goose loads no problem. I shoot left handed and Remington makes a left handed version of this gun so it was a no brainer. I shot a turkey with it last week also.

Here's a picture from last season:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I tried and tried. I love to hunt them until I tried to eat them. doves, ducks, geese, all dark meat that taste like liver. only wild bird I can eat is quail and breast of pheasant. so I don't hunt them anymore

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Got my first Canada Goose - tasty! Went out with a friend, borrowed his O/U, basically "borrowed" everything as it was his decoys, blind, boat, etc. Caught the bug, so I'm selling off some stuff to get a semi-auto shotgun, and going to try sporting clays to prepare for next year.

Anybody waterfowl with a 24" barreled semi-auto (3" 12ga)? same OAL as a 28" O/U, which was a nice size IMO in the blind and boat. Might be a handy length for deer, turkey, and other fowl as well. Not really wanting to collect guns like golf clubs.

Thanks!

teamnelson,

I've hunted teal, big ducks, smaller geese, the greater Canadians and sand cranes.
3" 12ga steel shot will work well for em all.
The guys are right - Just pick the choke and shot size appropriately.
Also learn to judge distance or use something for distance markers,
as those really large birds can look much closer than they really are.
An old goose hunter told me to wait until you can hear the wind rustle through their feathers
because they will look in range when they still are not.

Now here's a potential problem with the shorter 24" barrel shotguns:
If someone is hunting with you, please be aware of the muzzle blast.
Its courteous to the person next to you for you to use longer barrels in boats and blinds.
Not problem if your hunting alone, but with short barrel,
Position yourself on one end and don't swing gun close to your neighbor.
Shoot out your side or end only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts