Graybeard Outdoors banner

Staying warm in period clothing

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Mason Stillwell 
#1 ·
What do ya'll wear to stay warm/dry and still look the part? Multicolored ski jackets don't seem to fit in with the spirit of CAS clothing

#2 ·
Polypropylene long underwear (which isn't visible under period clothes), and, if it is really cold, a Swiss Military surplus wool overcoat (with the epaulets removed) available from www.sportsmansguide.com. Item stock number is AX3M-8678X, and price in current catalog is $19.97. Texana Trueheart and I each have one and they can't be beat when a blue Texas norther blows in. One other possible modification that isn't absolutely necessary, is replacement of the existing buttons with some that look more appropriate.

#3 ·
I do purty much what them old timey cowboyz did. I layer my clothing. Long handles, then pants n' shirt, vest & chaps, town coat, topped off with a heavy duster. Toughest part is keepin mah feet warm. I wear wool socks (mil surplus is purty good) under my boots fer that. A silk glad rag around the neck and head will keep you surpriingly warm too!

This will keep me fairly toasty in 0 degree weather here in the midwest.

#5 ·
Change hats, and I can go wearing the same thing I do on a daily basis. Good thermal underwear cotton, wool or synthetic. Boots large enough for heavy socks, or two pair. Two pair of gloves, one to keep your hands warm, and one thinner pair to wear while you shoot. Wool or heavy cotton shirt. Tie your wild rag over your head like a scarf to keep your ears warm, it can be worn under your hat. I wear a Carhart chore coat every day. They aren't the warmest thing going, but they are pretty tough and easily washable. Any tight weave pants that'll block the wind and you can stay warm to the teens with no problem.

#7 ·
Layering is very good. I use a carheart coat. Kinda looks correct.
Out here our clubs will tell you when it gets cold don't worry so much about looks. STAY WARM. I try to keep the look going and believe it is possible. Long John's are a good place to start.
Also we carry these packets in our pockets that when started will stay warm for about 4 hours. So we put hands in pockets and hold the hand warmer till time to shoot or pick up brass or whatever.
It work's
Ears for me is a big issue . Sometimes I tie my wild rag around my head and let it cover my ears then put on my hat.
Hey what ever it takes.LOL

Pete :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.