Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a "used" Remington 710 in .270 (used meaning only had 10 rounds through it) for $300.00 but My local gun dealer has an overstock on a Stevens 200 in .270, says I can have it for $275.00. The 710 lists for $429.00 new, the Stevens for $316.00 new. I haven't heard much good about the 710 and I know nothing about the Stevens. This is gonna be a back-up gun and a coyote gun (with light loads) and just another reason to get in trouble with the wife. Any input? Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Stevens 200 in .270 vs remington 710 in .27

Friends don't let friends buy 710's.

GET THE STEVENS!!!

ZM

·
Registered
400 Posts

Everything I have read about the Stevens is positive except the stock. I handled one and thought it was great. That price is about right.

I love 700's, but would never pay that much for a 710 when ADL's are about 330. My 700 ADL is a great shooter. It only needed a trigger job.
I put a wooden stock on it cause I liked it the gun so much.

pepaw

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts

I have 2 Stevens 200's. 25-06 and 7mm-08. I really like them, I even like the stocks. Good shooters and hunting rifles.

·
Registered
547 Posts

The Savge 110 is one of the best Bolt Guns made , and the Stevens is a Savage , get the Stevens :D

·
Registered
341 Posts

I don't have either one but from what I've read and heard from other first hand experience get the Stevens forget the 710

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rem. vs stevens

A big thanks for all your input - Stevens it is! Now I just gotta explain to the wife what a back-up gun is and why it's necessary. Kinda like black shoes - how many pairs does she need? Hope it works... I'll also justify why I'm buying it by replying "because I can! (if you let me). Thanks again, guys. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

The 710 I handled must have had a swollen plastic insert, I couldn't hardly operate the bolt. I'm sure it'll wear in, but I'm an official old timer with a medicare card, so I might not have enough time to wait for that to happen. :?

·
Registered
319 Posts

I don't think the model 710 is one of Remintons better offerings, not by a long shot (pun). But it's not bad for the once or twice a year deer hunter who doesn't want to reload, someone who just wants to grab his rifle and get out the door. That's what it was made for, the occasional hunter. I'm not sure about the Stevens. Just because Savage makes it isn't necessarily a panacea. It's a fairly new offering. I'd want to wait a while and see how they hold up over time. Actually at this point in time I wouldn't buy either. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts

cal sibley said:
I don't think the model 710 is one of Remintons better offerings, not by a long shot (pun). But it's not bad for the once or twice a year deer hunter who doesn't want to reload, someone who just wants to grab his rifle and get out the door. That's what it was made for, the occasional hunter. I'm not sure about the Stevens. Just because Savage makes it isn't necessarily a panacea. It's a fairly new offering. I'd want to wait a while and see how they hold up over time. Actually at this point in time I wouldn't buy either. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Actually the Stevens is the Savage rifle without the accu trigger, only difference..............

·
Registered
164 Posts

I have the stevens 200 in 7-08cal.it groups about 1" at 100yards.
I have a remington 710 in 300mag.it groups about 1" at 100 yards.
the remington has a 24"barrel,the stevens has a 22"barrel.I like them both.You decide. 8)

·
Registered
63 Posts

I've owned, hunted with and/or shot several Stevens rifles in the last year or so. First, they are EXACTLY a Savage, the parts are fully interchangable, so there's no need to be suspect of what you're getting. Second, they are a super idea, they are budget priced, with features and accuracy that is hard to beat at any price. The 270, 7MM-08 and a .260 I made out of a .243, by purchasing a Savage barrel online, all shot super and I would put them up against any factory gun made. My shooting pal bought a 25-06 and a 30-06, and they both were flawless in the accuracy department. There's just no downside to these guns.

I must admit to not ever having shot the 710. I read quite a bit about them and have looked them over, and they just don't do it for me. I probably won't own one, just from the buzz about them and my cursory look at them.

The Savage is a proven design, that is economical to manufacture, but creates a super bolt gun that never seems to let me down. The Stevens only has a different name on the bolt.

·
Registered
659 Posts
savage

Well I like the remingtons as far as bolt actions go and have had a few rugers too.
I decided that I would like a foul weather gun, one that I could not bang up in heavy bush , so I saw a deal on a Savage package gun in 300 SAUM.

Well folks I got the trigger tuned abit with the sale, and off to the range I went. With most new rifles there is an adjustment period and so on.
The savage was sighted in with three shots, shoots were you want them ,I am kicking myself for not trying one before.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I haven't seen the Stevens but the 710 looks like if you were need ing a rifle for just a few seasons. Go with the 200.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts