Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the savage sierra 10FM, dad has one in .308 that is a top shelf rifle. My question is what are some opinions about taking the Stevens 200 and making a superlight mountain rifle out of it? cut and recrown to about 16.5" and top it with a compact scope. As is they list weight as 6lbs. so dropping 5.5" of bbl should bring the weight down and the handiness way up. what about velo drop and muzzle blast? I'm thinking .243 or .308

·
Registered
398 Posts
Personally I would think a .308 would kick pretty hard out of a gun that (after the barrel being cut) would probably weigh less than 5 lbs.

It really would be interesting to know if the accuracy would fall off the deep end if you ut the barrel back alot??

·
Registered
400 Posts
As a hunter, I will never carry anything less than 20" because of the muzzle blast. Also, I have found that offhand shooting (never preferred, but sometimes necessary) with a short barrel is tougher than a front end heavy rifle.
I like the 200's and am considering a .223 or 25-06. Maybe the stock could be lightned without sacrificing the barrel.
FYI The reduced recoil loads by Remington perform exactly as advertised in my 7 mag. They will be great for practice and close range deer in that .308.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
The recoil and muzzle blast is going to make that rifle very unpleasant to shoot. Any time you cut the weight you increase the recoil drastically. A 16.5" barrel is going to have a muzzle blast that you won't believe. Personally I can't think of a worse idea myself. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Stevens 200 in 223, and you couldn't lighten the stock any on a bet. I just bought a Howa Youth in 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel, it's not too bad to carry. You might shorten the stevens to 20", but I don't think that 3 1/2" more is going to make that big a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recoil is really a non-factor in a .308 or .243, I regularly shoot a 300WSM in a 6.5LB gun so I'm not concerned about that. I do agree that there would be a significant amount of muzzle blast, but having shot a 14" savage striker in .308 it can't be any worse, and since it would be a hunter, not an all day bench gun then muzzle blast is not that big of a deal either. accuracy should not suffer considering that the shortened bbl would be alot less whippy, so it may very well increase the accuracy. My main issue is the fact that I hunt the Ouachita mts. So, if the one shot I take is loud and nasty, but the 8hrs. of gun toting a day is comfortable and light, then I'll gladly take the trade. Right now I'm in a 110FP at about 10+ LBS, so 1/2 that is an undeniable plus. Thanks for the feedback guys. :grin:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Savage Striker

Just buy a Savage Striker, get in contact with Savage Shooters Supply,
and get a rifle stock for the Striker action. Or just get a sling, and some
shooting stixs, and carry the Striker. My Striker in .308 Win, shoots
sub MOA with it's favorite load, although there is some serious blast
coming off the muzzle. It doesn't bother me afield, but on
my bench, I make sure the muffs are snug :)

Squeeze

1 - 7 of 7 Posts