Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just picked up a Stevens in 243. I already have a Mossberg ATR in 30-06. I have already posted the shooting results with the Mossberg. I will be posting the results for the Stevens in a couple of weeks. I just wanted to give my impressions of each rifle now that I have them side by side to compair them. First of all the trigger on the Mossberg is MUCH BETTER. It is still not ideal but it is no where near as bad as the Stevens. Second is the stock diffrences. The Mossberg stock feels better. It dosnt have the sharp edges of the Stevens and it has better weight and balance to it. The stevens stock on the other hand is Pillar bedded. Both are free floated. The stevens stock leaves me wanting to replace it as soon as I can. So does the trigger. I did adjust the trigger to be "usable" but I still dont like it. The trigger on the Mossberg is tolerable. It dosnt make me feel the need to get it off the gun as soon as possible. This is a compairison of the two cheapest rifles I have ever purhaced new. I like the overall feel of the Mossberg best. It shoots well to. I am putting a Mueller RAT on the Stevens. I should have it this weekend. I have loaded up a hundred rounds of the new hornaday 6mm 95gr sst. I used 45.5 gr of H4831sc and a winchester standard primer in winchester caces. I will let you know how the gun and ammo shoot. I was thinking that I would like the Stevens better than the Mossberg but that just isnt so. The Mossberg just feels and points good in my hands. the stevens is very light at the front and dosnt "hang" out there like the Mossberg. I shot easy 1 inch groups with the Mossberg in 30-06 when I tested it a while back. I am sure the Stevens will be just as accurate or probably more so. But the Mossberg has all the accuracy needed to get almost any job done. I think the barreled action of the stevens is nicer than the Mossberg. To make the Stevens feel better for me I will have to spend money on it. The Mossberg seems to be the better value for me. I like the overal package better than the Stevens. The only thing I like better on the stevens is the pillars in the stock and the better finish on metal parts and barrel.
Kelly

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stevens verses Mossberg

Hi. The price I paid for the Mossberg ATR 100 was $244.95 and the price I paid for the Stevens was $279.95.
Kelly

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a stevens .223 and my son has a 30-06 moss atr 100. I like both rifles very much and they both shoot great sub moa. I did put a sharp shooter trigger in the stevens and I can .3 groups with it if I do my part.
The mossberg gets .75 with for my son. Hard for me to pick which one I like better.

Norse

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Norse

Hi Norse. How much did the sharpshooter trigger cost you? Did you install it yourself? I have to replace the factory trigger on the stevens but I have never had a rifle that I have had to do that with before so I dont have much experience with it. I would appreciate any advice on trigger replacement.
Thanks
Kelly

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hello Nebraska Kelly,

I been gone a few days, been cleaning up a farm I plan on buying. The sharp shooter trigger was put in by a buddy of mine and it cost $80.00. He has allot of Savage rifles and said the sharp was more work to put in and he has always used Tmney Triggers in his other Savages. Timney or sharp will work, but Timney is easier to install for him. Says he can do them in 20 mins.

Hope that helps,

Norse

1 - 6 of 6 Posts