Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Has anyone seen the Steyr Arms brand of bolt action rifles? Where are they made? Are they worth the money?

Thanks,

·
Registered
356 Posts
I can tell you their sniper rifles are extremely accurate. Kind of interesting, if I recall, their barrels are hammer forged, as opposed to many precision ones that are cut rifled. One other interesting thing, as I recall, their barrels are not threaded into the action, but press fit. Everyone I know that had one sold theirs, for no particular reason other than I work with a bunch of guys with more $$ than brains and they buy/sell all the time with no thought to it all.

RR

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi coyote trapper1928
I have two of these rifles, one in .243 standard 24" barrel and one in .308 heavy 26" barrel. Both of them have shown excellent accuracy out of the box with reloads. The .243 averages 0.42" over 5 groups and the .308 just under 0.4". This level of accuracy is common as several other Steyr owners I know and have met have given similar feedback.

They are different, the safety is a roller type which offers three positions which is reassuringly safe (I like it), the bolt lift is heavier than some other rifles but do they shoot, **** yes. Everybody wants some thing different from a rifle, for me today its repeatable accuracy at an affordable price and these rifles have delivered. I have provided a link to an image of my .243

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=544/29641Steyer_243_S_B_PM11.jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
My Steyr is the MIII Professional, and it is a real shooter also. There are three things I love about this rifle: it's very accurate, the detachable rotary magazine, and the twisted barrel (you can see the twist rings on the outside)...it looks real cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steyr Rifles

I have a model M Pofessional in 6.5X57. At least .5 MOA ouy of the box.
Great rifle.

Daimler/Puch, Austria is the parent company. You might associate Daimler Benz (Mercedes Autos with them) I believe the same QAQC standards apply.

Good Shooting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts