Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you folks own a steyr and what you think of them.I have a sbs prohunter 243 and can drive tacks with it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My hunting buddy bought one of those Steyr "Scouts" in .308 Winchester about two years ago... the rifle that Col. Jeff Cooper has been advocating for the past many years.

It's a slick little rifle, but I think it's over-priced at well over $2,000 a copy. The bolt action is very smooth and it seems to be a very well-built little rifle with lotsa features including a built-in bi-pod and storage for extra ammo.

From everything I've ever heard about Steyr rifles, they're supposedly very good rifles... well made and accurate, but "pricey".

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I don't think that the prohunters are nearly that expensive. Well under the $1,000 as I recall, and closer to the $700 for the stainless version if memory serves me correct.

A friend of mine had a Prohunter in .243 also that would shoot 1/2 inch groups with Hornady 100 BTSPs.

The prohunter has a bolt that looks a little funny, but boy was that gun accurate.

Zachary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only problem I have had with mine is in cold conditions the forearm tends to worp a little to the left.Is there any way I can fix that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best out of the box Steyr

I started shooting Steyr in 1985 and I still shoot one today :D I, now shoot the PRO Hunter in the 300 win mag om beanfileds. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Steyr

A buddy of mine has a Steyr (don't recall the model) in .308. Nice in every way except for the fact that it rusted heavily after one day of SE Alaska hunting. He had it Arctic-Koted (AKA Tuff-Kote, etc.) shortly thereafter and has had no problems since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts