Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,008 Posts
All 3 are very gorgeous. I really like the 'hog back".

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Back on LOP for a Handi. Years ago NEF made a run of youth/compact models. Not superlights, rather full 22 in barreled rifles with standard fore ends but s reduced LOP. If I recall it is 12 3/4 with a recoil pad. I believe standard adult LOP is either 13 1/2 or close to 14. The true youth is in the 10 in range.

Now with one trick I did and trying to keep same LOP but reduce recoil was this. I took the pad off. I then had a pachmyer slip on deceleration pad. So I had just wood to work with. Well it was too short with pad off and too long pad on. I took pad off as stated and took some really heavy felt material and cut to fit pattern on butt stock including punching holes for screw holes. I think I put 2 or 3 in there and it made it perfect and shot like a dream! Plus I can take them out for a smaller stature shooter.

Back on the compact stock. I always ask when buying a PW set for the seller to measure LOP on it. They are great. I have a standard 243 with that set up and it's a shooter with factory ammo. Yes a unicorn in the handi world. It actually shoots as good as my Tikka T3 lite in 243.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Back on LOP for a Handi. Years ago NEF made a run of youth/compact models. Not superlights, rather full 22 in barreled rifles with standard fore ends but s reduced LOP. If I recall it is 12 3/4 with a recoil pad. I believe standard adult LOP is either 13 1/2 or close to 14. The true youth is in the 10 in range.

Now with one trick I did and trying to keep same LOP but reduce recoil was this. I took the pad off. I then had a pachmyer slip on deceleration pad. So I had just wood to work with. Well it was too short with pad off and too long pad on. I took pad off as stated and took some really heavy felt material and cut to fit pattern on butt stock including punching holes for screw holes. I think I put 2 or 3 in there and it made it perfect and shot like a dream! Plus I can take them out for a smaller stature shooter.

Back on the compact stock. I always ask when buying a PW set for the seller to measure LOP on it. They are great. I have a standard 243 with that set up and it's a shooter with factory ammo. Yes a unicorn in the handi world. It actually shoots as good as my Tikka T3 lite in 243.
I hadn't thought of using the thick felt for spacers instead of the usual stacked plastic. To a certain degree that is more recoil absorption.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
If only those longer youth stocks were still available. Would love to have a set or 2, but c'est la vie. I'm actually considering getting a Boyd's laminate stock and marking it out as a try stock to help with initial fitting as I like to introduce others to shooting and a comfortable first experience is huge. I can always just hand them my 10/22, but it would be nice to have other options.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts