Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a custom bolt action from Savage in a 260 Rem. It is a heavy barrel and a very accurate rife. But the Savage stock is awful. I think they make these stocks out of milk jugs. I would like to put a McMillan tactical under it. Which one? I am looking at the A5. And what about the finishes? This is a mystery to me. Paint, molded in? How do they look and is the paint durable? If any of you have experience with McMillan send me your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have a B&C on my Savage 10FP and I really like it. I got mine from Midway.

bjm

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had a good and not so good experience with B & C stocks. On my 223 Savage heavy barrel the stock fit great and looked great although the gray on black finish is not as durable as it could be. Then for this custom 260 rem FP10 heavy barrel, I ordered a B & C and it didn't fit well at all. The forend was not straight and the action didn't fit well. So the bottom line is that I have not seriously considered the B & C again. Maybe I need to give them another look. They cost MUCH less than the McMillans. Is the extra cost of the McMillans worth it? Torn.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Take a look at Stockade stocks. I consider them equal to McMillan stocks or H&S Precision.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Bell and Carlson has two different tactical type stocks for the Savage. One is called the Duramaxx and it's an injection molded stock, albeit much better than the factory stock. You see them priced in the $100 range or so. Not a bad stock for the money. It's pillar bedded as well. Then you have the Medalist stocks made of Carbelite, that look similar to the McMillan tactical stocks. These run around $200 or so, you can find them for about $175 with judicious shopping on ebay. They also have an aluminum bedding block in them.

You have to remember that most drop in stocks are just that, drop-in, with tolerances to allow just about any action/barrel to fit. You really need to get the action bedded for the best results. McMillan's are a bit more custom than other brands, and you can usually order a McMillan and drop in the action and be good to go. Thats what the price difference between the $200 B&C and $450 McMillan is. I've handled stocks made by most of the makers, and to me, the B&C and McMillan's feel the best in my hands. Although if I were building a custom hunting rifle, I'd probably use a Rimrock or MPI stock on it right now. But then you are in the $500 range again, and I am personally quite fine with a B&C and using the $300 I saved to get it bedded or buy a scope and ammo and such, The H.S. stocks just feel bulky to me, and kind of like a club, but they are great for heavy barrel guns, which also handle like a club, ha ha. The stocks from Stockade that I've seen are ok if you by them fully finished. The unfinished ones look like a bed of rough gravel, and I'd hate to see how much work goes into making a good finish on one.

B&C has taken over most of the composite (not the injection molded plastic ones) stock business than the factories use on their high dollar guns. Most of the Remington stocks are B&C, like the LVSF, the Titanium, and the custom shop guns. I don't know if the Sendero/Varmint guns still use H.S. stocks or not. I know that the LTR and Police models do, but the new tactical rifle with the green stock is a B&C. The stocks for Weatherby are made by B&C too. The Ultra-lightweight, the Vanguard MOA's, and most of the composite Mark V stocks are B&C.

I've had 6 of the Carbelite stocks, one Medalist, and two of the Duramaxx stocks that I bought aftermarket, and I've never been disappointed with them. I've had a Rem. 700 Titanium, and a couple other Remington's with factory B&C stocks, that have performed flawlessly too.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
That's the same stock I had on one of my Remingtons. Freedom Tan is the finish, isn't it? My wife informed me that it was the ugliest thing she'd ever seen. I told her that it's so ugly it's beautiful. I loved it!! Everyone in camp knew that it was my gun for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts