Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to pose this question because I am struggling to answer it for myself. As far as home defense is secured, in my case a nightstand gun, what do you prefer...the 15 round capacity of a Ruger P89 9mm or the stopping power of an 8 round 1911 in .45?

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
The myth of stopping power is just that.NO handgun has 100 % stops .period.You can get close.ie the 357 125gr jhp.This round is very hard to control and MOST handgunners do not practice enough with it to become proficient.
So my answer is which ever you can shoot the best,in the dark, under stress, with repeatable efficiency,for some this may be a 22 while others it may be a 45 .I have a 9mm that I carry most of the time and have 357's,as house guns.just my 2c Doug

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
How about a bit of both? My nightstand gun is a Glock 22. Sixteen rounds of .40 "Ranger T". I also keep a light on that gun, and my glocks are the only ones with light rails. If I had a .45 that held 16 rds I'd use that, come to think of it, I do have one .45 that holds 11---------------hummmmmmm.
Savage

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I'd go with the Ruger and 13 rounds in the mag and one in the chamber. My two house guns are six shot DA revolvers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have to agree the stopping power is a myth. Nothing beats a well placed shot. My nightstand gun is my carry gun...Springfield XD 9mm. During the day, I have the 10 round mag in it. At night, I have a 16+1 extended grip mag. Two steps away, in the closet, is a Benelli 12ga pump. In my opinion, there is no sound more intimidating that the sound of someone racking a shell in a pump action shotgun!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
For home defense, I wouldn't feel under-gunned with either. I own a P85 9mm and a Colt 1991 .45. Both plenty good for the house. I used to work at a pawnshop and I carried both there at one time or another. The only time I felt under-gunned is when I carried my Charter .38 5-shot. It's a pretty good gun in it's own, but if you have more than two assailants, I think it gets kind of thin. I like Silvertips or Federal 115gr JHP in the 9mm. Speer Gold Dots in 200 or 230 grain in 45.

Of course, I always have a shotgun or rifle backup, not in hand, but nearby ready to go.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Stopping power is a myth? ??? Try telling that to some guy who has taken a load of 12 ga. shot to the chest!! On second thought, it'd be tough finding anybody who'd survived such an encounter! :D

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Do you expect to be attacked by a gang? If so capacity. If not. What gun do you shoot better, have More confidence in both hitting your target and it functioning every time with a modern hollow point designed bullet? If your limited to Ball in the 1911 keep the P85 next to you. With modern defensive bullets the .45 and the 9 are real close in % of one shot stops. Shot placement is a whole lot more effective than fire power. It is alot more about personal preference and confidence than any thing else. Picture your pistol in your mind eye and your looking down the sights. Is it the 1911 or the Ruger? Use that one.
I keep a S&W Model 28 with a 4" next to my bed with Remington 125 grain Golden Sabers in .357 Mag. I picked this one this for two reasons.
1. I live in Southern California and if I have to use the gun, I will loose the gun and most likely never get it back. So it is something I like and trust, but can live with out or replace easily.
2. A revolver does not impart any spring tension if it's loaded and if I do not take it out and shoot it for a few years (You tend not to shoot the bed side gun a lot. I try to, but time does fly) it will continue to fire. I know that springs are good, but if I'm unlucky enough to have some one break in in the middle of the night he may have brought Mr Murphy with him. The revolver is fool proof and a stop gap till I can get to the Pump shot gun in the closet and shuck in a round making that loud snackety-snack! noise that is burglar code for get out now!!

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
When it comes to my home and family I like both!

Stopping power has been argued too much for my tastes. Facts, the GI's that carried the 1911 45's complained about recoil, not that it didn't put bad guys down. Fact, today GI's complain that a 9mm doesn't put the bad guys down, but at least they have plenty of ammo to shoot them again with. Obviously wars claim more lives with guns than anything else, so I'll take the GI's word for it.

All that said I have a Springfield XD 45 by my bed. It hold 13 rounds of 45ACP and I've got some spare mags, not that it'd ever be needed. Everyone likes to think they'll never miss a shot, that's ego talking. Realty is if you wake up in the middle of the night because of bad guys bigger bullets are better and the more the merrier.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Extended gun battles are rare, go with larger caliber over capacity.

Cheese

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you can handle a 45, use it. If not find the cartridge you are most comfortable with and use it.

While I like the 45 ACP cartridge, I am not enamored with the normal platform that propels it. My preference is the revolver so my hanadgun of choice is a S&W "N: frame canambered for the 45 ACP.

If that doesn't trip your trigger, there are many other handguns on the market I am sure you will find something in which you have confidence.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
In reality if for the home only and lots of us have more than one handgun I would go with capacity and for a CCW weapon the one I can carry comfortably ALL day with the largest caliber I could handle, (remember if its too heavy with extra rounds in the weapon and posses a problem to carry guess where it will be when you need it most, at home not on your side.) JIM

·
Registered
308 Posts
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2004/oct2004/oct04leb.htm#page_15

Very interesting read for the "stopping power" argument. This was a study done by the FBI in 2004 looking at the calibers used in the killing of over 400 cops in the last ten years (1991-2001). The results may surprise you. The 9mm killed the most cops BY FAR! Second was the .38, followed by the .380. The .45 was pretty far down the line.

The study also compared those kills where the cop was wearing body armor and those when the cop was killed with their own service weapon (taken away). Again, 9mm won out on all accounts.

Definitely not what I expected. I know you can find studies all over the place and eventually find the results you want. Just thought some of you may find this one interesting. I still say a well placed shot is more important than caliber size...when speaking of hand guns. Obviously, given the choice between a handgun and a shotgun at close range, I'd reach for the shotgun.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
XD9,
Interesting read. Not really conclusive, as it only gives statistics for fatal shootings. If they had included the number of felons and officers shot that survived by caliber, it might have been more informative. I agree that there is no such thing as a guaranteed one shot stop, regardless of caliber. Each individual is a study within it's self, and no two persons can be counted on to react to a bullet strike in the same way. The only sure stop in a CNS hit----------with any calliber.
Savage

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Do those stats account for the number of each used. It may be that the cop killers used more of the mentioned guns than .45's.,
That does not mean that they had more "killing" power but just more were used

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
I don't know that statistics ever caused a death.
I do believe that the 9mm is the most popular caliber but, I don't believe that it is for the reason of the best caliber.
I like the .45 and I like the super .38 and the 9x23 before I would choose the 9mm---heck the .40 and 10mm are stronger than the 9mm.
I would choose the .45.
Blessings

1 - 20 of 90 Posts