Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I would say it means to incapacitate a person or animal.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Sverre A. said:
How will you describe stopping power?
I see it as enough power to drop an animal with a well placed bullet. Have enough power to penetrate into or past the vital area. :D

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Dusty Miller said:
I guess "voting out the incumbents" would not apply?
Now thats funny. :-D

·
Registered
294 Posts
In defensive shooting shooting against humans I would define it as stopping power. The power to stop an assault. Wether it kills or not really doesn't matter, that hostilities STOP does.
I would define it the same in a hunting situation, hunting dangerous game you can use a HUNTING rifle, your guide or PH will most likely carry a STOPPING rifle in case things get ugly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My views of stopping power is something that has the capability of delivering MORE than what is needed to kill with one shot. I have seen large deer killed with one shot between the eyes with a 22lr but I don't consider that stopping power.
I picture a S&W 500 :biggun:

:money:

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
bdhaley said:
My views of stopping power is something that has the capability of delivering MORE than what is needed to kill with one shot. I have seen large deer killed with one shot between the eyes with a 22lr but I don't consider that stopping power.
I picture a S&W 500 :biggun:

:money:

I see the 500 Mag also. :-D

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Hangun General Discussion

Dusty Miller,

That was Too Good and oh how true it is. :D .......Joe........

·
Administrator
26,063 Posts
bdhaley, you have requested e-mail notice of all new replies to this thread but you have an invalid e-mail address on file. Either stop watching this topic, uncheck the box or get a valid e-mail address on file at GBO. Thanks

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
It's the reliability with which a well-placed shot will instantly stop an animal by either killing or incapacitating it. Operative words are "reliability", "instantly", and "stop".

I think that JD Jones once referred to WWII data that showed that reliable stopping power in humans is attained with a cannon projectile of between 20mm and 40mm. His reasoning is that some men hit with 20mm projectiles were not stopped instantly, but all those hit with 40mm projectiles were stopped instantly. Can't argue with that reasoning. I don't think the concept of a well placed shot was in his line of thinking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts