Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can only hunt deer in my area with a straight walled round. so what is the best deer cartridge out to 100 yards? most shots are 60 or less. is 45 lc a good choice? i would like minimal recoil. thanks denny

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I would say a 45 Colt would work just fine, just know your personal limitations.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
maxhunter, there are loads for the 45 Colt that are just as powerful as the 44 Mag. I can reload my 45 Colt to match any 44 Mag out there, so don't count the 45 Colts out so fast. Many deer and hogs have fallen to a 45 Colt.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Don't do it!
Everyone knows that you need a UltraMaximumWizzBangerSuperMagnumBelted cartridge to take deer with perfect bullet placement!!

I vote .38Special

Scott (get a bazooka) B

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
My choice would be the .44 magnum. There are huge numbers of good factory choices in ammo and if you reload you can tailor it to whatever recoil level you like as well as finding a load that is most accurate in your gun.

The .45 Colt is plenty adequate and versatile but unless you reload not a real good choice. If you do then it really takes no back seat the .44 mag.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The .45 Colt is plenty adequate and versatile but unless you reload not a real good choice. If you do then it really takes no back seat the .44 mag.
So, what kind of accuracy do you get at 100 yards with a 44 Mag. or a 45 LC? For whatever reason, I've found it easier to get excellent 100 yard accuracy with the 460 & 500 S&W than with a 44 Mag.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
sdb777 said:
Don't do it!
Everyone knows that you need a UltraMaximumWizzBangerSuperMagnumBelted cartridge to take deer with perfect bullet placement!!

I vote .38Special

Scott (get a bazooka) B
Wow that post was real helpful... (NOT)... There is always one in every crowd. ::)

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
Grumulkin said:
So, what kind of accuracy do you get at 100 yards with a 44 Mag. or a 45 LC? For whatever reason, I've found it easier to get excellent 100 yard accuracy with the 460 & 500 S&W than with a 44 Mag.
That is what I use, even thought the power is not needed, I perfer to use the 460 and 500 Mag. Personal choice. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
The recoil in the Encore of the 460 and 500 Mag are harsh to say the least. The 460 is a lot more tolerable then the 500 in the Encore.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
A .44mag is my choice, but a .41mag, .44spl. or .45colt would work just as well. If a "straight walled case" is the only restriction then a 45-70 in a TC or BFR would be legal.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
dave375hh said:
A .44mag is my choice, but a .41mag, .44spl. or .45colt would work just as well. If a "straight walled case" is the only restriction then a 45-70 in a TC or BFR would be legal.
Some States also list it as a straight walled pistol cartridge which would make the 45-70 illegal seeing how it was designed as a rifle cartridge.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
I've never owned a TC in .45 Colt so have no experience with it in the TC only in revolvers and lever rifles. But I've owned several TC barrels in .44 magnum and worked with those owned by others as well. You should be able to get pretty much MOA from a TC in .44 magnum with loads it likes. I sure have.

I was helping one guy work up loads for his 14" SS Contender and with me shooting it got MOA at 100 yards with both Hornady 240 XTP and 300 XTP in his barrel for three shots.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
....i would like minimal recoil. thanks....
Then I would suggest the .357 Magnum. For 50 yards and less it is an adequate cartridge, with the right load choice. I would recommend the Federal or Remiongton 180-grain loads, they will give the most penetration and are usually not difficult to find. Either the cast or jacketed bullets will work. Recoil will be much less than with the larger cartridges, but it will kill well with good shot placement.

IMO there is no such thing as the oft-quoted "intrinsic accuracy" among straightwalled pistol hunting cartridges. When I was a very active IHMSA silhouette shooter I saw near-moa capable handguns in everything from .22LR through .32 H&R up to the .445 SM. What matters is handgun quality, ammunition quality and shooter ability. In the field the average hunter shooting offhand will see no real difference between a handgun giving 1 moa or 3 moa range accuracy - there the accuracy limit is the shooter himself.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I like a 41 mag but not alot of ammo choices for factory loads other than that i like the 460 for it's versatility if i can ever afford one i would go for the 460and a 41 mag my choices have shot both and the 460 is harsh depending on the gun you use the 41 is manageable and accurate.

Terry

·
Registered
234 Posts
If your shooting a T/C Contender then I recommend a 357 Maximum. I have always wanted to try a 445 Super Magnum in a T/C Contender for heavier bullets up to 300 grains.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I do believe that y'all have hit'm all 'cept one. My newest favorite, the .375Win. Hmmmmm...., But, he did say minimum recoil....60 yd shots. Like Lone Star said, the 357Mag...It will do everything you requested. Walt ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts