Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would one of the 6mm/30-30 varieties ( BRM, Donaldson, Bullberry) be considered too high presure for a .410 stub? If so, I think my next thought would be a 25-35 Win.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
I don't think it has much to do with the stub, but the frame. An SB2 rifle frame should be ok with any of the listed calibers.

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
I agree and would air on the safe side. Especially being your dealing with wildcats and say go with a SB2 receiver.

It's been argued before that the stub material is of importance. I do not subscribe to this but I seem to be in the minority. The steel of the chamber and it's barrel IS important. Personally I would not hesitate to use that 410 barrel.

I do have a 2535 and it spent about a year and a couple hundred rounds as a SB1. The caliber is lo pressure and just fine as such. The others are what make me suggest the SB2

Good luck.

CW

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn't referring to the receiver, just the stub. I have a SB2 receiver that I currently have matched to a 22 Hornet, 20 Ga and a really nice Topper 30-30. After doing some more research, I think I have come up with an alternative for the 6mm question. I'm still leaning to the 25-35 however.

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
I have a25-35 and it's a wonderful Handi friendly cartridge.

It's factory pressures are quite light so much so, it is just fine on a SB1 frame. My own is stubbed off a 20ga shotgun barrel. You will be just fine using your 410 barrel for yours.

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I liked my 25-35 for cast bullets (has a 1:10 twist, IIRC) and will shoot long, heavy for caliber bullets as well as the lighter typical 25-20 bullets.
My shooting of jacketed was limited, I kinda considered the 100ish gr. bullets the max for the velocities achievable, and there is no reason to have to shoot blunt , safe for tube magazine bullets.
It is not a 25/3000 or even a 257 Roberts, just a very (as CW says) Handi friendly caliber with a mild, pleasant disposition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.