Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to look at getting a new barrel for my ultra. I have a .223 handi barrel on an ultra frame and I wanted to get a barrel to fill in some gaps in my caliber selection. Right now I have a .22lr 10-22, .223 handi, 30-06 A-bolt, and a 12 guage topper deluxe. I was thinking of a 45-70, but I am not sure about the recoil. Would it be close to the 12 guage with 3 in slugs? I would prefer the 35 whelen, but since they don't make it I was thinking of going bigger. It would primarily be used for Brown Bear in Alaska. Any suggestions would help. I will probably use my VXII 2-7 to scope it with. Thank You for the help.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
now i've never even seen a brown bear before but if i was hunting them with a handi i would want 45-70 or 450marlin and nothing else (well nothing else that they currently make)

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I cannot think of ANY caliber I'd go after brownies with in a single shot rifle.

If you want to seriously do that then I'd suggest the 45-70 IN A MARLIN LEVERGUN.

Sorry, but no other suggestions here.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
handirifle said:
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I cannot think of ANY caliber I'd go after brownies with in a single shot rifle.

If you want to seriously do that then I'd suggest the 45-70 IN A MARLIN LEVERGUN.

Sorry, but no other suggestions here.
I have to agree no way i would go after something that big and mean with a single shot , some of them things go 600 to 800 lbs. plus :eek:

·
Registered
922 Posts
To go along with what mitchell said nothing less than the 45-70 or 450 marlin if your serious about using a sigle shot.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Then stick with it. tell her you really need it. do give up on gettin it just b/c you dont need it. You want a new one and thats all the reason you need to get a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Well.........I got a Synthetic Handi in 45-70, accurate, but kicks the devil out of me...............I can shoot my Contender 45-70 with much more comfort. Also just got a synthetic Handi 22 Hornet.....what a pleasure to shoot,,,,plus a 3 shot group at 100 yards with all holes touching..about .35 or .40 !!! Will use the 45-70 to deer hunt when it's really cold and I have a BUNCH of clothes on! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts