Graybeard Outdoors banner

Suggestions for Tennessee or Arkansas hunt??

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bigjeepman 
#1 ·
I am looking for suggestions for a wild hog hunt in either Arkansas or Tennessee. Not looking for a huge trophy, just mainly a hunt for the meat and to get the experience, as this will be my first time ever hunting hogs. I would like to use rifles and am dont really want to use dogs right now. Any suggestions of where to start looking? Any names of outfitters, ranches, etc. will be appreciated. Also, what approximate amount of money can I expect to spend on this? Thanks

#2 ·
My brother, son, and I went to Ken Moody's Clarkrange Lodge in Tennessee about 4 years ago. We got everything we wanted in that trip including three boars, good lodging, and memories that started with Ken Moody's stories from times past. They processed our meat, the taxidermist there mounted two of the boars for a fair price, and a desire to return as we were leaving is enough said. Our guide was a seasoned young man that knew his stuff.

Here is the link ...
http://www.kenmoody.com/clarkrange.htm

bjm

#4 ·
I hunted Clarkrange several times before Ken bought the place. It was then owned by John Gilbert. Yes it is a hunting preserve, but it is the wildest roughest hunting preserve in Tenn. old 4x4, I wouldn't say the hogs were "trapped" behind a fence. Matter of fact the only high fence I ever saw was just at the entrance to the place. I'd say from other references, that I have read, that Ken probably puts on as good a boar hunt, with dogs, as anybody east of the Mississippi.

Mad Dog

#5 ·
If my memory serves me right, Ken told me that the wildlife laws (or whoever) for hunting boars in Tennessee said the acreage "had" to have a specified fence around it as the state didn't want wild hogs running all over their state and the problems that go with it. Like I said, it has been four years ago.

I will add that the time I had with my son and brother there will likely never be forgotten. The terrain was very difficult at times but my son ( a basketball player) had a great time making fun of me being so winded at times. Each of our hunts were unique and the three hunts lasted all of two days. Ken is a very personable guy and he had great people working for him. I enjoyed our time with the taxidermist there as much as anything. What a character!

My only regret was not getting back there before I moved west. One of Ken's Plott hounds got cut up pretty good by a boar when we were there. Ken stitched him up and gave him some time off to heal up.

bjm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.