Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a scope on my ruger single six. It has a 4 5/8 in. barrel. The scope has to be a silver finish and preferably under $250. Suggestions for rings would be nice too. I don't even know where to start lookin for a good pistol scope, this is the first that i am gonna to buy. Any input you want to suggest is great.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My suggestion is to look through a few pistol scopes before you buy. Personally I don't like them. I use a dot type sight. I'm not trying to convert you to my likes. For some shooting a dot sight is not the best choice.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction the revovler has a 5 1/2 in. barrel. I've looked through a BSA pistol scope before but it was a fixed power and it wasn't mounted either so i couldn't really tell much about it.

as for the dot sights, i'm not sure i know what you are talking about. If you mean like a red dot scope.......the reason i dont want one of those is becuase there is no magnification. Unless i'm missing something where some manufacturer has come out with one that does have the magnification then i might consider it. Can you post a link of what you are using on our handgun.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a Trijicon Reflex sight on my S&W .44 mag and a Tasco red dot sight on my Ruger slabside target model. I don't want magnification because the field of view is so small with handgun scopes.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
I am with Dave in WV on this one. I have been shooting a lot of handguns. I have shot them with scopes and red-dots. If I am on a bench shooting a scope is great, also if I have a good rest, a scope is great. But if you are hunting and have to take an off hand shot without a rest, the red-dot is the way to go. No trying to find the animal in the scope and have a good sight picture. The red-dot is quicker for me to pick up the game, and get on target. Anything under 100 yards with a red-dot I found I do not need magnification. Currently I have both scopes and red-dots on my hunting handguns, but I like the red-dot the best. JMHO :D

·
1,876 Posts
I agree with these guys...The red dot is the way to go for hunting situations. Now if you are just going to punch paper then I would probably go with a 2x handgun scope of some sorts. A few manufactureres that come to mind are Burris, Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell...The choice is yours but for the most part you get what you pay for with optics. I would go as close to that $250 ceiling as you can with your purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts