Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bill is on the floor now. Contact your elected officials now about coming into the modern era and open hunting on Sunday in Pa.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
And yet another way to decrease church attendance, open the state to Sunday hunting. It isn't bad enough that military chaplains cannot use the word "Christ" nor can we make any reference to prayer to Jesus because we may offend someone that believes in allah or other gods but yet they can spout their beliefs whenever and without any censoring by our government.

I have been in the woods on more opening days than I have ahead of me and they have always been Mondays. I find it strange that everyone expresses that they can't get time off work to hunt but yet I have never noticed any scarcity of hunters in the woods for opening time on the first day (and most of these hunters are there for the entire week).

I will be contacting my representative even though I know where he stands on this issue. I will let him know that I am in complete agreement with his statements regarding this subject.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steelbanger, It's not about church or religion. I work all week and only get one day to hunt my dog. To many Dad's get their kids 4 days a month and to often sports interferes with time in the woods together.
The biggest problem society has today is divorce and Dads not having enough time with their kids. It seems to me the church should put their foot down on no fault divorce and not let people re marry if they just decided they didn't want t be married any more to their first time around.
The Bible says not to work on Sunday. Now days, hunting is just fun, It is no longer working to put food on the table.
Besides, there's nothing saying I can't do an afternoon hunt after church or for the Catholics go to church Saturday night. Lets try to keep an open mind here. Pa is one of the few states that restricts Sunday hunting and the Southern Bible Belt has had no trouble with Sunday hunting for as long as I can think. If you want to see hunting passed on to the next generation, give Dads more time in the woods with their kids.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I work 6 days a week and take 2 days unpaid off for deer season. The only way I get to hunt more is when I am "laid off" even though I can't collect. Sundays are the one day a week I have to do anything I want or need to do. I do not attend church because churches are showing their one big desire, money and lots of it so that they can build big huge churches that they can't pay the bills on or fill the pews of. I am a believer in Jesus but do not believe in what a lot of churches are doing.
If the farmers want to stop hunting on their property because of it let them. As the population of animals increases to the point of hitting them in the wallet they will change their mind. Also a lot of farmers in this area are offering their farm for hunting lease, they will lose that money also.
In the state of Pa there is a mindset perpetrated by the Game Commission to exterminate the whitetail deer so Sunday hunting will be a win for them as it will increase the number of days to reach objective without opening the season year round.

·
2,541 Posts
I am in agreement with opening Sundays to hunting here in PA. I am retired, so I can hunt pretty much when I want, but not allowing Sunday hunting does negatively effect a lot of hunters. Hunting Lisc. sales have been down in recent years in PA, and I think a lot of it has to do with the average working guy having a hard time affording to miss too many days of work with unpaid leave. Other good points have been made by other posters above, with the "getting the kids out into the woods" angle a big issue. They are the future of hunting, and any exposure we can provide is important to insure our hunting heritage continues.

Folks with personal agendas against Sunday hunting should consider what is good for the future of the sport.

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where I live in Canada during whitetail season only Sunday hunting is allowed the last couple years. It gives us 4 Sunday's to hunt, it's worked really well here.

·
23,845 Posts
I always felt bad about shootin bucks on Sunday. But I did it anyway.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Dee said:
I always felt bad about shootin bucks on Sunday. . . .
i never have
Dee said:
. . . But I did it anyway.
myself also

what better place to feel closer to god than out in his wilderness?
that's where christ went when he wanted to get closer to his father

·
23,845 Posts
Well actually Ranger the wilderness is where He had His run in with the Devil. He tried to get CHRIST to sell out to his side. But I get what your sayin. But what if that buck was on his way to church? :-[

·
Registered
594 Posts
Up here in Alberta we have had Sunday hunting for a few years now. As was mentioned above if you can only find the time to hunt during weekends Sunday hunting doubles your potential days in the field! :)

·
23,845 Posts
I don't remember if Sunday ever affected huntin here in Texas but, I remember when all the stores except gas stations were closed on Sunday's. Then the stores could open, but you couldn't buy alcohol on Sunday. Blue Law they called it.
Well, that's all gone now. But it seemed like a better time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Regarding Sunday hunting,, I'm setting in the hotel in Tx because of rainout. (Pa. is home, I have worked on the road for many years) Worked 1/2 day last Sunday. Think about it this way, I remember when "Blue Laws" & religious beliefs in general kept many things closed in my youth, No gas , groceries etc. BUT , today few places are following that practice. I grew up on a family farm. Animals still need tended to( pets do too)as they don't know or care what day it is. Hay was made when the weather allowed, even if Mom protested! Dad drove truck full time & worked PM shift ,so his work week started 11:00PM Sun. night. Many friends ,neighbors & church members worked rotating shifts in mines& mills to earn a living never thinking to tell their employers or union stewards that religious reasons would not let them work Sunday .Overtime was gratefully accepted ! Today few places are closed even on paid time off holidays , something that many unions fought hard for years ago ! Is it OK to take your family out for entertainment of any kind on Sunday now ( dinner ,movies ,mall shopping etc,etc but NO Sunday hunting, except crows & coyote ? Many landowners have threatened to pull out of Cooperator programs if Sunday hunting passes. This scares the PGC. In the economy the last several years, we take work when we get it and that includes Saturday so to keep up the ranks of new AND old sportsman/women we should consider ALL options. Landowners have the call to allow what happens & when on their land , always have. I don't take leave from work, I can't see fit to, as many others can't either. Sunday would be a chance to enjoy the sport again. Religion can be practiced anywhere anytime, you don't need a roof, hymns or an offering plate to do it. Thanks for letting me expound !!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Virginia passed Sunday hunting last year. I didn't notice the church parking lots being less full.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Give landowners who put up with the hunters something.Written permission slips required on the hunter. Make tresspassing for the purpose of hunting a game law violation enforced by Game Wardens.Alot of states that allow sunday hunting have stricter trespassing laws.Give the landowners something maybe more of them would support sunday hunting.If you obey the law none of the things listed would affect you.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Casull do own enough ground that people can hunt on it?Or are you another one that doesn't have a clue to how many problems slob hunter can cause I agree most hunters don't cause trouble but there are always a few bad apples.Virginia requires signed permission slips on the hunter doesn't it?One thing I found true in about everthing if you really want to do something you will find a way.A lot of people who tell you how much they work and don't have any time used all their vacation going to the beach and the races.Everybody wants it easy and they want it now.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
That still doesn't answer my question. The vast majority of this country allows hunting on Sundays . . . with no problems not seen on any other day of the week.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Have very few problems on Sunday now very limited hunting on Sunday in Pa.Kinda nice when you live in the country to have one day of piece and quiet.If you owned ground and lived where people hunt you would know what I'am talking about.

·
Registered
148 Posts
stationed in a lot of states that allowed sunday hunting. in Nebraska my neighbor was a preacher,used to yell at me if I went out before he got back at noon,said he did gods work until noon,the rest of the day was his to hunt!
we need to get into the 21st century.the blue laws are fading away.make it on state game lands(remember the early muzzleloading seasons?) to start. go from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts