Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the kids a 243 superlight youth and a 22 to match last spring. Last Weekend during the Missouri Youth Hunt they both took their first deer
My boy is 6 and my daughter 10. 130 yards with 95 ballistic tip at 2715fps

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up was my daughter, she shot this nice doe at 225 yards with the same setup bang/flop

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congratulations!!! to you and your kids both. I bet you'll never forget them big smiles on their faces.

·
Super Moderator
51,144 Posts
Double congrats, good on all of you!! ;)

Tim

ps, I fixed the pic for ya. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This past weekend was Arkansas Youth season and I got to take them this time. Saturday morning about 8:30 this little 5 pointer came out and the Boy laid him out

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Congratulations to you guys!!

How old do you have to be to hunt deer in Missouri? 16 is the minimum age here in NY.

Spanky

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congratulations to you and the kids. Just got a .243 and have it sighted in with the 95 grain Ballistic Silvertips. Looks like they will do the job.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to be outdone, My daughter and I got in the stand about 2:45 and by 2:55 she shot another big doe, perfect shot behind the shoulder. I couldn't talk her into waiting for a buck. She was about to jump out of the stand she was so excited. Now the race is on, for who can kill the biggest deer this year. And who's deer tastes better etc.... kinda funny around the dinner table these days

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
spanky9773 said:
Congratulations to you guys!!

How old do you have to be to hunt deer in Missouri? 16 is the minimum age here in NY.

Spanky
Arkansas and Missouri both have a 2 day youth season 6-15 year old. Must be in the direct company of an adult

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
burntmuch said:
AWESOME Nobody told your kids those 243sl couldnt shoot. Jay
This gun shoots sub 1" at 100 yards, but even after 4 shots/4kills I am not that impressed with bullet performance. The 2 longer shots didn't exit bang/flops. The 2 closer 50 yard shots this weekend both exited and killed quickly but no blood to speak of. I just think with a poorly placed bullet it would be a tough tracking job.

Anybody got an extra freezer, mines filling up quick :eek: ;D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Congratulations from me too! Those are going to be some awesome memories. I used to make deer jerky for my friends ... you might try it ... it's pretty darn good.

bjm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats for your kids, great hunting memories for you and them, glad to see I am not the only one to post pictures of the awesome .243sl and dead animals, hey Stimpy when are we going to see some photos of your .243sl and some critters,
Regards Howard.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Howard

Need 2 things to happen first , Ohio needs a rifle season and i need to quit working 60+ hours a week . ::)

stimpy

·
Registered
167 Posts
luv2shoot: I noticed your comment about not being pleased with the bullet performance. I reload 100gr Nosler Partitions. They always come out of the other side. I also tried some Federal Fusion 95gr bullets. Don't if they are available as a reloading component yet. I had a friend that worked at ATK and sent me a handfull of those. Most accurate 243 bullet that I've ever used and killed a 90lb Oklahoma doe. She was inside 50 yards so it put plenty of stress on the bullet. Worked fine, about 1 1/2" exit hole, best that I can remember. Congratulations to you and yours. Keep those kids hunting!

Siamese4570

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
did you forget to tell your children that 243 is barely big enough for coyotes, and will not kill deer.
Those are great pic's, from the sound of it you will be doing lots more hunting from now on.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
I'll just add to what everyone else said :Congrats to all of you! It's awesome to see the kids' expressions and happiness and to "read" your pride and excitement too.
Keep them excited and enjoying time spent with you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
siamese4570 said:
luv2shoot: I noticed your comment about not being pleased with the bullet performance. I reload 100gr Nosler Partitions. They always come out of the other side. I also tried some Federal Fusion 95gr bullets. Don't if they are available as a reloading component yet. I had a friend that worked at ATK and sent me a handfull of those. Most accurate 243 bullet that I've ever used and killed a 90lb Oklahoma doe. She was inside 50 yards so it put plenty of stress on the bullet. Worked fine, about 1 1/2" exit hole, best that I can remember. Congratulations to you and yours. Keep those kids hunting!

Siamese4570
Thanks
I would like to see 1.5" exit hole, especially with (kids in general) shooting. I know Dead is Dead, I'm just a nervous kinda guy

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Exit holes don't mean good blood trails. I just shot a 10 point at 30 yards with a 150 grain Ballistic Tip out of my 7x57 high in the chest, turned the insides to soft stuff and exited but not a drop came out of the exit hole but some did come out his mouth. But the deer dropped in place. My two doe tags will be filled with the 95 gr. Ballistic tips from my 6MM Remington. I noticed you are pushing the bullet at 2715 fps and that you got exits at close range, maybe at the longer ranges higher speeds might make a difference. If you go to the Partitions in the 243 you will get a thin blood trail and some tracking time, found this out myself the hard way. Truthfully poorly placed shots often are tough tracking no matter what you are shooting.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts