Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quarter bores are my favorite hunting rounds. The 25-06 is a wonderful hunting rifle. Only thing is it requires a long action to use it in. I like short actions better. Now the 25 souper based on the 308 Winchester case is the ideal hunting round according to my way of thinking.

A nice bolt or lever gun in the 25 souper would be the end all hunting round for me. ;)

·
Registered
5,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Catfish said:
How about a 250 Savage? They are just a hair larger that the 25 Souper.
Actually with the 25 Souped being on the .308 Winchester case it is a little larger than the 250 Savage.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
BruceP said:
Catfish said:
Actually with the 25 Souped being on the .308 Winchester case it is a little larger than the 250 Savage.

Bruce

Bruce? :-\ Bruce P!? ??? Bruce P in Norf Jawja!? :eek: :eek:

Is this my old friend the (in) famous Bruce P of FN FAL legend!? :eek: ???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
AtlLaw said:
BruceP said:
Catfish said:

Bruce

Bruce? :-\ Bruce P!? ??? Bruce P in Norf Jawja!? :eek: :eek:

Is this my old friend the (in) famous Bruce P of FN FAL legend!? :eek: ???

Lol! Richard I'm afraid that must be someone else. I've never had a FN FAL. I have been a legend in my own mind a few times but never in anyone else's. We have both been around GBO for quite awhile and in reading several of your posts over the years I would feel privileged to be your friend.

Bruce

·
Registered
674 Posts
The excellent 250 Savage faded rather quickly after Winchester introduced their .243 cartridge. This happened largely because of strong marketing and the availability of this new chambering in a rather wide variety of rifles. Unfair but true.

I sort of doubt that a new 25 caliber cartridge can displace the amazingly popular .243 cartridge. The 260 and 7mm-08 offer more bullet weight for the big game hunter but these two cartridges are not widely popular at all.

I recently handled an unusual slide action rifle by Remington in 25-06 featuring a light colored maple stock. Very attractive and well balanced.

TR

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
BruceP said:
Lol! Richard I'm afraid that must be someone else. I've never had a FN FAL. I have been a legend in my own mind a few times but never in anyone else's. We have both been around GBO for quite awhile and in reading several of your posts over the years I would feel privileged to be your friend.
Sorry Bruce, I probably made this mistake before bein' senile and all. :-\ Like you say, we've been around too long for me to have just noticed you be a Jawja Boy! ;)

Funny thing is I got an email from Bruce P (Perry) yesterday! :eek: Great guy, I think he is a director or something at the River Bend Gun Club and I know he runs the FAL Matches there!

Back on-topic: As much as I love the quarter bores, and as much disdain as I have for the 6mm's, I can't see the 25-08 ever being anything but a wildcat... :-\ When I think of it I think of how great the 25-06 is and how upset I was when the 260 appeared based on the 308 case instead of the ought six!

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice round. I have a couple, and a few more 6.5x55's, (I like the 6.5's as much as the 25's!) but I would love a 6.5-06!

But first I've got to get that 250 Savage build done... 8) I'm using a M7 in 260 as the donor rifle BTW. ;) Then, with a 250 Savage, a 257 Roberts and a 25-06 I'd be hard pressed to find a niche for the 25-08 to slide into.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Richard,

The 257 Roberts and the 25-08 should run neck to neck since their near the same case capicity. But the 08 will fit easier in a short action rifle. So will the 250 savage. The advantage to the 25-08 is cheep brass and I like short actions better

I agree the 25-06 is the queen of the quarter bores if you can learn to love that clumbsy action...... ;D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have gotten into specialty pistols in the past few years and think either the 25 souper or the 250 improved would be great in an xp100 but then I have a 260 Remington xp100r so a 25 wouldn't really do anything the 260 wouldn't.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I like the idea of a 25 souper factory round as well. I thought about building one some years ago when I read about it in PO Ackley's
books on reloading/wildcat cartridges it looked good too me. The longer I waited the further it got backlogged.
I wound up doing a 260 because, first, I like 6.5 boolits and due to the wider selection, I chose the 260, which is almost a 25.
I believe the 25 souper would be a very accurate round with plenty of power but probably no more popular than the 260, I like a lot
of odd calibers too. There s a place for all of them in somebodies rack.
YMMV
safety first
HM

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
With the combination such good 6.5's like the 260 and Creedmoor for the short action and with the current interest in 6.5 bullets and their high BC bullets which has removed a lot of interest in newbies wanting a 25 and with most 25 lovers liking the performance of the 25-06 or 257 Wea., I just don't see the demand, just not going to happen in my view.
You are right it would be a good round, but so are many other ideas that will not happen.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I own 2 rifles in 260 and it's a dandy hunting round. I also own a 257 Roberts and a 250 savage so I guess I can get by without a 25 souper. Of course I could have one made up and just neck up 243 brass. And eventually that's what I may do if I live long enough too do it.

Now that I think about it I have a very nice condition browning Belgium mfg BLR sitting in the rack. It's chambered in 243 so it would be a ideal candidate for a 25 souper rebore. Humm.... What a though.

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
pastorp said:
Well I own 2 rifles in 260 and it's a dandy hunting round. I also own a 257 Roberts and a 250 savage so I guess I can get by without a 25 souper.

Well DUH!!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Rechecked and your correct. The 250 Savage has a case capacity of 3.36 cc`s and the 25 Souper has a case capacity of 3.63 cc`s. As for forming the brass jus t get yourself a 308 bushing die and a few bushing to take the necks down in steps. You might be able to get them down in 1 step, but with 2 steps you should lose no brass. Bushing dies for the 308 will should be between $ 65 and $ 75 and bushings $ 15 or so ea. I have several sets of bushing dies that I use to load wildcat rounds.They are higher priced than standard dies for factory rounds, but a lot cheaper than custom dies.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey pastor!! If the fact that thé 25-06 is a long action is thé factor, try to find one in s handi rifle, m'y oldest son has one that is a laser guided missle launcher with hornady 117 SST

1 - 20 of 29 Posts