Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pondering getting a survivor and bobbing it to 16.5" for a super compact hunting rig. considering the 5.5" loss I know my velo will fizzle some, I just don't know which would suffer more the .223 or .308? also, if anyone has done anything similar how is the balance?

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I think I would be more worried about the muzzle blast and flash you'll get with them...especially the 308...

Mac

·
Registered
539 Posts
mt3030 has a .30-.30 trimmed to 18" that he swears by for a truck gun. It isn't a survivor stock, but a "shorty" non-the-less.

I have to agree with Mac though about the fireball a .308 would make. However, a .44 mag barrel on a survivor stock with a 16" barrel would be verrrry interesting. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tihnk that would be a great idea especaily for a truck gun. I need sometin like that for the jeep on our new 300 acre place as the wild dogs are rampant out there. mt3030 you wouldnt happen to have a pic of your shortie would you?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Does anyone know where i can find a stock set like the one in the pic?

·
Super Moderator
50,974 Posts
Varminter said:
Mac, do you know how much the youth straight grip laminate costs?
In the 2004 list they're $55 for the butt and $26 for the forend, cinnamon or camo, same price as the full size.

Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok that settles it. Yall have done it now thanks alot. That cz carbine i wanted is deffinetly on the way back burner now. I'm thinking.. order a survivor in 223 ad send it in for 762x39 and possibly 44 barrles and possibly a 3030 later. mmhhmm sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what the heck, why not go whole hog and whittle a 45-70 bbl down to 16.5" put a tamer stock on it and make a bonafide hand cannon? that would give that big boar and me both a shock!

·
Super Moderator
50,974 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Varminter said:
Mac, do you know how much the youth straight grip laminate costs?
In the 2004 list they're $55 for the butt and $26 for the forend, cinnamon or camo, same price as the full size.

Tim
The adult or youth stocks are $55 and $26, doesn't matter.

·
Registered
922 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,974 Posts
I've never heard they were sold out of em, I seriously doubt it....Call em or email em and ask for the current price and availability...Whilst you're at it, ask for a 2005 Retail Price list..... :wink: The only laminated stock that I know they don't have are the specialty color stocks like the red, gray or the bumble bee laminated stocks.

Tim

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thanks quick. Don't mean to be such a pest. But i thought i heard awhile back that they had quit making them. (not sold out) I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask about them and get the parts list.

·
Super Moderator
50,974 Posts
ahem.....if they quit making them, they'd have a hard time selling Ultras!!! :-D

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index.php?cat=4&subcat=22

Mac just ordered a camo laminated stock set for his 30-06 Ultracomp a couple months ago....

Tim

Maybe they don't sell the straight grip version though....I don't think they have that on any current model rifle or shotgun. :?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts