·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pros and cons ....those are the choises in DPMS
.....feel free to add another choise

looking for......
cheap.....money is of some concern.....SPORTACLE[$180 difference]
stainless......sweet 16....probly the decideing factor so far...expencive upgrade later
retracable stock.....sportacle ...but thats a cheap up grade later
lo-pro receiver vs standard receiver
free float barrel...... sweet 16
weight.....16 is heavier barrel.....good or bad?? [6.3 vs 7.8 pounds]

any other pros or cons?
any one shot both?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ever thought of building your own. Or perhaps buying a complete lower and complete upper. Not impressed with DPMS at all because of their tight chambers.

With a $120 stripped lower these would run $605 and $640 if you keep the parameters as the stock offering.
http://www.model1sales.com/item-det...e=car16pre.gif&CFID=55986877&CFTOKEN=64206056

With a complete lower at $250 these would run $580 and $615 if you stayed with the stock configuration. All could be configured more to the way you want it with some more money.
http://www.model1sales.com/item-det...=u16carpre.gif&CFID=55986877&CFTOKEN=64206056

Not trying to bash DPMS but if you are going to feed it with cheap ammo, I wouldn't want that tight chamber.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never seen that web site

it might be the way to go

·
Registered
574 Posts
The only thing that turns me away from the sportacle (if I have my models correct) is the sportacle has no forward assist. Like Arier said they have tight chambers. I would never own a ar without a forward assist.

·
24,004 Posts
ive shot ars for many years and have never used a forward assist and probably never will. I picked up a sportical for a beater gun just because of the price. To be honest ive about fell in love with it. Its so much lighter then the rest of my ars as all of them have heavier barrels and most have a bunch more things hanging off of them. It makes for a real handy light little rifle. The weight differnce is defineatly noticeable. to my surprise the gun is a tack driver to boot. Many loads go into an inch at a 100 yards. Its been very reliable but then i small base size all my ammo for ars. I cant see not doing it as the most important thing with an ar is that they go bang every time. In my opinion there a **** of a bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I used to own a DPMS Sweet 16. It was the most accurate AR I've ever owned. Free floated foreend, dust cover, and forward assist are nice to have, but only the free floated foreend helps with accuracy.

I don't think you could go wrong with either. Rock River makes a varmint version almost identical to sweet 16 also.

·
Registered
658 Posts
While I have not shot a DPMS Sportical, I have owned and shot several other AR's. I think in all the rounds I have shot through AR's I have used the forward assist a grand total of 3 times and each time if I had done things RIGHT to start with I wouldn't have had to use the Forward Assist.

In each instance I tried to let the bolt / bolt carrier go forward slowly trying to not make noise to spook a Coyote. In the end I could have just as well just let the bolt / bolt carrier slam forward as I ended up making more noise anyway.

In my opinion there are two things I would like to see and or change on the DPMS Sportical. #1 would be a Free Float Tube. The reason for that is I am primarily a varmint / predator hunter and do shoot off of Bipods a lot. #2 would be the Dust Cover. Out calling Coyotes in the snow I do use my Dust Cover more than I ever thought I would. While it hasn't happened to me as yet I suppose the down side to a dust cover is it could get froze shut, but I would think the cycling of the action would pop it open (hopefully without breaking anything).

My nephew keeps wanting an AR. I keep telling him to just buy a DPMS Sportical as he wants a 16" Barrel with a 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock.

Larry

·
24,004 Posts
saw a 20 inch heavy barreled sprortical in the gun shop a few months ago. 20 inch and free floated. Didnt know they made it but it was brand new in the box. Pretty slick gun. I agree tough. I kind of wish theyd put dust covers on the sproticals.

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is called ''low pro '' receiver

a cost cutting thing......deletes features that won't matter to some

also makes it lighter i think

my 308 has a similar reciever to the sportacle

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·