Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else uses Sweet Oil for patch lube. If you do or have how did you like it?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Anduril, I've added bee's wax to Mazola olive oil for my REAL bullets. Mazola doesn't make any claims about how refined it is. :) The Mazola isn't near as clear as the Sweet Oil and of course not near as expensive either.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've tried an awful lot of patch lubes and some of them were pretty weird concoctions. I've yet to find anything better than straight olive oil. That's all I use now.

For conicals, I use a mixture of 1/4 bees wax, 1/4 Crisco and 1/2 olive oil. Put all the ingredients in a glass container in the microwave oven until everything melts. Stir it a little and pour into a container of your choice to cool and solidify. I use old bullet boxes for the range and old musket cap tins for walking around. You can vary the amount of olive oil for a harder or softer lube.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Semisane, I didn't think about using the empty bullet boxes. I'll have to do that next time I make up a batch of bullet lube. Using a microwave I melt my bullet lube in a shallow dish. Then dip the REAL bullets in the melted lube and sit them out on wax paper to cool. For patches I just use straight Sweet Oil. My drugstore carries a 2 oz bottle for $1.75. I figure the less impurities your patch lube has the less fowling is left in the barrel. :)

A friend of mine down in Australia sent me a portable ash tray. It works great for prelubed patches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.