Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lokked at the newspaper today, little in it of anything, including adds but there was a black and white add from Byerly's for Choice T-bone steaks 7.99 a pound, 8 bucks off of the regular price.
Drove over , trafiic is pretty much normal, and bough six of them.
Cooked two of them over a real wood charcoal fire.
They were compared to most times a thinner cut so over a hot fire they cooked to a crispy fat but not dried out well done.
Fantastic, moist and tender and when the fat is cooked well it does not get any better.:tango_face_angel:

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I actually see them on sale here for $5.99 a pound pretty regular, but I never buy them. I'm not sure why, as I do like a good T-bone!

DM

·
23,845 Posts
We had a couple a really good charcoal grilled ribeyes yesterday.
Baked potato, and baked beans on the side.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lot of waste in a t-bone.
The bone seems to adds flavor; I am pissed off it is so hard to find a chuck steak with a bone nowadays.

It seems in more foo-foo grocery stores at least, many types of steak you never saw with a bone now are showing up with a bone, filet mignon, strip steak and a couple of others.

Now , in the past few years you constantly see rib-eye with bone, which is impossible a rib-eye is a rib steak with the bone removed; ditto for rib-roasts, no bone, no rib roast.

Probably inherited from Mom, who used to leave bones looking like a dog had it all day, I love to pick up the bone and chew it down to near nothing, not near what Ma did though.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Actually Bob, the rib eye can have a bone as long as the cap is removed. If the cap is removed it can be a bone in rib eye. And if the ribe bone is removed a boneless rib eye.

At least that’s what I was taught in meat cutting school I attended back in 1965.

·
Registered
11,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Actually Bob, the rib eye can have a bone as long as the cap is removed. If the cap is removed it can be a bone in rib eye. And if the ribe bone is removed a boneless rib eye.
At least that’s what I was taught in meat cutting school I attended back in 1965.
Must be a regional item as my cousin in law was a butcher also and with the bone they were always Rib Steak up in the Great White North.

Why is a ribeye called a ribeye

Ribeye comes from the upper rib.

"The rib eye or "ribeye" was originally, as the name implies, the center best portion of the rib steak, without the bone."
eye = center best part

Any one who buys a rib or rib eye without the cap is getting screwed, badly.
Most rib/eye steaks up here from higher priced stores always have the cap, average stores, hit and miss.
Maybe you can answer this, as you went to meat school; I bought suppose T-bone steaks yesterday but some of them the tenderloin was huge, i.e. the size you expect on a porterhouse.
Now they probably came from different cattle as the porterhouse looking steaks were well, very well marbled, while those that looked like normal T-bones ,looked like what you expect to see.
Now I have come across the opposite for tenderloin size on steaks advertised as porterhouse at times also.
This was a foo-foo grocery store but is this just grocers putting a label on thinking people are too dumb to know or care.
Those marbled steaks were fantastic though, far more tender than average.

·
Registered
521 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts