Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these Contender and Encore short-barreled guns considered true handguns that require permits, licences and registration like any other handgun? I would like to get into them, but have never applied for handgun carry permit here in New York State. Can anyone from NY fill me in on requirements and procedures. TIA

JimT

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
pistol permit

Jim,

Same BS with Contender and Encore as there is with any handgun. Check out your local pistol permit office or Sheriff dept. and see what you can find out. Need pictures, finger prints, background check and all that good junk.

Bob

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Jim
I lived in Ulster Co. 1979-1990 and my Contender was registered as a multi caliber, so no need to put every barrel on the permit.

Greg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Jim, I live in Ontario County and have my Contender listed on my permit as multi-caliber but that was put on the permit over 15 years ago. Today, for new handguns listed, you will have to list each barrel's caliber. Just the nature of the beast here in NY....RW

·
Registered
213 Posts
Holy cow! :eek: List every barrel on a permit? Glad I live in PA. How does that work when you buy new or trade? Do you guys have to keep that list updated or just what you own when you apply?

·
Registered
53 Posts
NY permit

It took me about 6 months to get my pistol permit when I lived in NY. I think My Contender was listed as a revolver. They said it had to be a revolver or a automatic. Go figure. Lone Hunter

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pistol? Rifle?

Here in Pa.,Buyers have to fill out a from for the State police ( SP 4-113). Under fire arm information the form asks " Does this purchase involve a pistol or revolver with a barrel lenght of less than 15 inches". So in NY if you buy a Contender with or a barrel thats 16 inches is it a Carbine or a hand gun?
T/C Nimrod you my not keep a record but the State does that for you!!! except for barrels of coarse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here in warren county you need to register the frame again each time you get a different caliber. The only good part is that you can register bore size instead of caliber specific....ie.....30,264,22,243 etc. When I registered my 6.5 swede it went on the permit as a 264 bore so when I bought a 260 rem. it was already on the permit. Not as neat as frame only with 22 to 50 but what are we to do?
The permit process here takes 4 to 6 weeks after you finish the steps.Handgun saftey course,fingerprints,pictures,and references. They will send questionaires to the references so make sure they will fill them out and return them in a timely manner. I believe the cost is around $140.

·
Registered
551 Posts
the peoples republic of New York

SavageT Wow!!!! I didn't realize how much of the rtkba had been eroded in NY. :( Is there any hope of reversing any of this trend?

·
698 Posts
what about Iowa?

I just bought an Encore in Iowa, my FFL dealer said that all I had to do was fill out the yellow sheet, do I have to do any more to prevent problems with the law?
Selmer

·
698 Posts
And South Dakota was even better than Iowa... wish I wouldn't have had to move for my job...:(
Selmer

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Re: NY permit

Lone Hunter said:
It took me about 6 months to get my pistol permit when I lived in NY. I think My Contender was listed as a revolver. They said it had to be a revolver or a automatic. Go figure. Lone Hunter
That's exactly what Sgt. Brinkman in Ulster Co. told me when I put my Contender on my permit. Auto or revolver. I gave up trying to argue with the a**hole.
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
pistol permit

And i thought this was a NYS pistol permit. What a differance from county to county. On my permit the frame numbers are listed and under that it says barrels for above serial #. Then the caliber of each barrel is listed. This is in Niagara County. They use to list the frame # and then various barrels. Not allowed to do that anymore.

bobg :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
NYS permit

What I remember it was up to the county sheriff and/or a county judge to set up the rules and to approve or deny the pistol permit. If all the checks came back OK the judge could still deny the permit. It was given at there discreation. They also liked to put restictions on the permit such as target shooting and hunting only. Lone Hunter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts