Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two T3 lt ss, a 25/06 and a 300 short and am very happy with both. In fact, I enjoy shooting them both, albeit the 25 more than the 300. Today at the range, a buddy was having a hard time sighting in his T3 ss in 308. He asked me to give it a shot and man did that gun kick. I have never shot a 308 that kicked like this one. Has anyone else had this experience? He later complained about the kick and I of course told him that i was thinking the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
51,330 Posts
I just bought a T3 Lite SS 338 Win Mag, if the 308 kicks that much, I can hardly wait to see how much the Win Mag kicks!! :eek: Thinking ahead, I did install a Limbsaver recoil pad tho!! I'm waiting on Talley rings and a Hornady die set, hope to get to the range next wednesday. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick,
I have to say that I was surprised. I have a Limbsaver on my 300 short and the kick of the 308 seemed a good bit harder than my gun. I do remember the 300 kicking before the limbsaver but I don't remember it being that bad. Maybe the brain just doesn't remember pain. I will also say, the limbsaver is a worthy investment.

·
Super Moderator
51,330 Posts
I've got about a dozen rifles with Limbsavers on em, they are indeed great pads!! ;) I have a 308 M81 BLR and a bull barreled H&R 308, both with factory pads, neither has all that much recoil even with heavy loads, I'm surprised the T3 308 is that bad. ???

Tim

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have the T3 lite in 308. I found that it kicked a bit at first so put the limbsaver on it and it's OK now. When you remove the stock you feel just how light it is. I have no problems at all with the quality of the synthetic stock and it would be easy to add some weight if one wanted to do so. I think the Limbsaver soaks up enough of the recoil to make it an enjoyable rifle to shoot. I really wish I'd bought the 308 varminter with the extra mass in the stock and heavy barrel but..... I got the Lite brand new for $400 and that was a deal I could not pass up.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I too just bought the .308 T3 Lite... I don't really worry TOO much about the recoil of the .308 but of course less is better. Since I don't have mine in hand yet, can you tell me if the stock is hollow? It sounded that way but... I could always add a mercury reducer to it, or I can go the cheap route and put a bag of shot in there. Not too worried about the weight. If I ever decide to use it for a "mountain rifle" I'll just take it out.

ngh

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just finished sighting in my T3 Lite in 30-06. Completely stock gun, and I didn't notice any excessive recoil. I could shoot prairie dogs with that rifle. Guess it's all a matter of perception

·
Registered
66 Posts
i got a T3 Big Boar(lite) in .308. my 3 shot groups are touching at 100. and i'm really not that great a shot, just a deer hunter. i put a limbsaver on it before i ever shot it. it is "lite" so it will kick more than a non-lite .308. it's very comfortable for me to shoot.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Tunaman:

How strange! We just got a T3 Lite Stainess/Synthetic left hand model in .308 Winchester for my son. We both were amazed at how light the recoil is. We are shooting 150 grain bullets. What ammo are you shooting? Even shooting off the bench the recoil of ours seems mild. Our gun is completely stock except that a Leupold 2-7x scope is mounted on it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We Shot My buddies gun again yesterday. This time he had installed a limb saver on it and it was a horse of a different color. There was almost no kick. He was shooting 160 gr hot loads and the recoil was very comfortable. We shot my 300 wsm for comparison and the 300 only has slightly more kick with a limb saver. Both guns shot very well. I truly like these Tikkas. My 25/06 is a tack driver and the 300 is not far behind it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts