Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a good bolt gun for about 3 months now, had my eye on a Savage at one time and ordered it, but it was discontinued after waiting a month for it. So I started looking again and the Tikka looked interesting, price was right at $550 and read all the good owner reports on it. Went to Sportsman's Warehouse for a hands on look and really liked what I saw and felt. Bought a T-3 Lite stainless 338WM, then ordered the low Talley Lightweight ring base combination #930714 for it and picked up a Limbsaver pad. Mounted the rings then lapped them and mounted a Nikon Omega 3-9x40 scope on it, realy like the 5" of eye relief, had to relieve the rear mount slightly for the power ring, but the ring spacing looks like it was custom made for that scope, the rifle and scope weigh 7lb-4oz. ;D

I was originally interested in the 338 Federal after reading a couple hunting stories about it, but after learning that brass isn't available and that all T-3s are built on a long action regardless of chambering, decided to just go for the 338WM and load it on the light side with the 180gr Accubond. Got a Hornady die set and brass, all ready to make some ammo and maybe get a chance Wed to shoot it if the weather holds. ;)

Tim

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Good looking rig. I have one in 30.06. I would wonder on the recoil as my 06 is all I want but I think you will love the rifle if the kick isn't too bad.

Let use know

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a plan B if the recoil is more than I'm comfortable with, fill the stock cavity with expanding foam with a length of PVC pipe mounted in it, then install a mercury recoil suppressor in the PVC, I read about someone else having that done by their gunsmith and they were very happy with the results. ;)

thx,

Tim

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Congrats Tim...

That is a very nice looking rifle ...and am looking forward to hearing how it shoots for ya.

Mac

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mac, the weather is iffy for a range trip, but my body is the problem, bad foot ::), no range trip today, maybe not for quite a while, I see my foot doc on the 31st. :-\

Tim

·
Administrator
26,114 Posts
It's tough getting old and falling apart isn't it Tim? Yeah that's DEFINITELY the voice of experience speaking. You're shoulder tho is a LOT tougher than mine to take that .338 recoil in such a light rifle. Mine is getting closer and closer to forcing surgery on me. It seems to hurt all the time now and even with my .410 I'm flinching so bad at the skeet range I might as well close my eyes and throw rocks. Me thinks a lay off on long guns and getting back to handguns is in order for awhile fer me.

·
Super Moderator
51,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, if'n it ain't one thing, it's another that's breakin down/hurtin. :'(

I'm not too concerned about the recoil from the bench with the Lead Sled, but if it's too much offhand, I'll have to do something about it, but it shouldn't be as bad as my 835 with heavy turkey loads, and I live with it ok, in fact, when knocking down a tom, I don't even notice the recoil. :eek: ;D But when patterning it, I shooting standing with a tall bipod, even then it gives me a headache if i shoot it too much. :'(

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts