Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I sold a 300 Win. Mag. I haven't used in sometime today and thought maybe I should take a stroll thru Cabelas to see what is new. I have wanted to get a 30-06 that was a little heavier than the T3 for some 200gr applications. Well my mother, bless her soul, would have said, " that money was burning a hole in your pocket". After looking at 5-6 guns the salesman handed me this T3 a slightly heavier Laminate Brushed Stainless. ( not as reflective) It looked like a Tikka copy of the Sako Greywolf! That was it, I looked like that guy in the ad for the bad poker face. Perfect fit , enough substance to pop 200gr bullets, and really great lookin. One of the guns I looked at was a Sako Finnlight. It was a wonderful gun but seemed a little short for me. Also I think a 200gr healthy load would not be something I would want to do. So tonight I mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with black rings and bases. She is sweet will shoot this weekend and pass along the news.

By the way you guys that told me the 35 Whelen doesn't kick much more than a 30-06. I compared the two cartridges and the 35 Whelen is much larger. I am sure it is a great gun but I don't think that and arthritis will work together. Buckfever

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Range Report Tikka T3, 30-06

Shot a box of Federal Fusion in 180gr. The 30-06 was different than the .223 and the 6.5-55 both Tikkas. They were as if broke in out of the box. They shot < 1/2 " groups at 50yds or better right off. I went thru the same break in, shoot-clean-shoot-clean ect. anyway.

The 30-06 was more like the other rifles I have owned. It moved a little bit while I dialed it in. The last 3 shots over a luke-warm barrel touched and looked like a hole and a half. I think this gun really benefited from the shoot and clean routine.

The fusion ammo is Federal's new offering and at $16.00 a box I thought I would try them. They shot like good ammo but it was of some concern that the bullet had small dents and scratches. This maynot affect anything but it was a question as compared to Nosler Partitions, Sierra, Barnes, ect. They did shoot really good at the end of the break-in so I don't have a strong opinion either way. They are also $16.00 not $30.00 plus so the jury is out on them.

The gun is going to be a great shooter but it didn't break-in like the other Tikka's, it needed the old shoot and scrub!

Buckfever

1 - 2 of 2 Posts