Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out at the range the other day,shooting my Pro Hunter. I normally shoot 120grs. of T7 in it. I tried three T7 pellets,and it shot to the same point of impact,then I tried three Pyrodex pellets. It shot a little (not much) lower than the other loads,and had less ( felt)recoil. Are these loads supposed to be the same velocity? I've never tried 120grs. loose Pyrodex,to compare it to the T7 load. My prohunter does get the crud ring using T7 pellets,or loose powder,but I never pay much attention to it,as I use windex to swab between shots,and it cuts it right out. I store my BP guns with Bore Butter in the barrels,and have never had a problem. I'm thinking about going to the Pyrodex pellets (since I got three boxes) last year at the end of hunting season cheap. What are your thoughts on using either the,T7,or Pyrodex?

·
Super Moderator
51,150 Posts
I've had real good performance with Goex or T7, no problems with either of em, but Goex isn't available anywhere locally, T7 is, so that's what I use, I'll save what little Goex I have for the flinter. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I really like Pyrodex better than T7. Seems to be more consistent in my Encore, plus it's easier clean up. I may be sacrificing a few FPS, but I think accuracy makes up for it.

alan

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try the Pyro pellets out tomorrow,and compare them to the T7 (120gr.) loose powder load. If I don't loose much,if any accuracy,or speed,I might as well hunt with them. I've got 3 boxes. Ron

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
My best accuracy has been with 3F GOEX. Two 777 Pellets work ok so I'm gonna try that this year.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Triple 7 is all I will use, unless it is in my smokeless Savage. ;D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah,my gun really likes the 120gr loose load of T7. I guess I'm trying to find a way to burn the Pyro Pellets up! I've shot the T7 pellets (3) and it matches the loose load,I'm kinda hoping the Pyro pellets will come in around the same. I don't know why I picked them up? (well yes I do,they were cheap,after last year's season was over.) Ron

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Redhawk1 said:
Triple 7 is all I will use, unless it is in my smokeless Savage. ;D
Florida has outlawed the use of smokeless powder during muzzleloading season. I'm glad I didn't buy a Savage.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Swampman, the nice thing about the Savage is, you can shoot all the other powders also, not just smokeless.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Swampman said:
My best accuracy has been with 3F GOEX. Two 777 Pellets work ok so I'm gonna try that this year.

Mine too, 85 grains of FFFG Goex and a 300 grain hornady XTP bullet = 3 shots 1 hole @ 50 yards.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a Savage about two years ago. I wasn't impressed too much with the gun. Too picky on loads, powder,and bullets. Plus you had to wait around 20 minutes between shots to get any "real groups" out of it in warm weather. I shot some T7 in it,and it was shooting good,but a real PAITA to clean up. After getting a Pro Hunter,I sold it. Not even close in comparison. But that's just my opinion. Ron

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
I don't care for the Encore looks wise anyway. I prefer my Knight. If you can't shoot smokeless, there's no point in paying a lot of money for an inline. The most accurate inline I ever owned cost less than $100.00. It was a one holer at 100 yards.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your right! My wife shoots a Knight Wolverine (has for 7-8 years) and it is very accurate. Not fancy,but really gets the job done on deer!

·
Banned
224 Posts
Three pellets of Triple Seven and a 250 grain Shockwave constantly gives me 3/4" groups at 100 yards. Never use more than 3 patches to get a clean barrel either. I use the Winchester Triple Seven primers also. The gun is the Z5 Omega with a NIkon BDC 250 scope. (And the scope works as advertised) :)

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
rks1949 said:
I had a Savage about two years ago. I wasn't impressed too much with the gun. Too picky on loads, powder,and bullets. Plus you had to wait around 20 minutes between shots to get any "real groups" out of it in warm weather. I shot some T7 in it,and it was shooting good,but a real PAITA to clean up. After getting a Pro Hunter,I sold it. Not even close in comparison. But that's just my opinion. Ron
I own both of the guns you are referring to. Both of them are tack drivers. I have had people tell me they can't get there guns to shot. I take the time and go to the range with all kinds of powder, bullets and primers and I usually find a load that will shoot well in there guns. What I have found is, guys try to shot stuff they like, not what the gun likes.

As far as waiting 20 min between shot's I have never had to wait that long to get good groups. I have shot 3 or 4 times and then let the barrel cool for 5 min and again shot 3 or 4 rounds. My groups were very good and consistent. I don't find the Savage difficult to clean, it takes a little more time than my Encore Pro-hunter, but 4 or 5 min is nothing.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Be still my heart.

Redhawk1 has a Savage!!!

I have not been here for a while since I moved in the last 5 months and have been busy, plus did not have a computer set up.

Only kidding Redhawk1, when I read your post I could not help but remember about last March when I sold my Encore and bought a Savage and posted about it. I was sure you comment was, why would you want to get of the best muzzleloader to buy a Savage.

I know I truly like my Savage for lots of reasons although the Encore was a good gun also.

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
Bullseye, I had to get one, if I want to criticize it, :D I need to have actual hands on experience, but I could not find one thing wrong with the Savage. But the truth be told, I still love my Encore and will always have one. Nothing wrong with more than one M/L. LOL :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts