Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my partner's boat isn't out of the shop yet so we're not doing the PWS trip this weekend. We are, however, backpacking in a few miles just north of Talkeetna. Looks like a 3-bear area so hopefully there's one up there with my name on him...and I don't see any more wild turkeys.

I'll post a report after our return Sunday. Wish us luck...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Trapper Creek

Just to let you know, the road across from Trapper Creek that heads west to Petersville is a long way back in. It extends quite a ways back and then turn into a 4-wheel drive road to some mining camps and a state panning area. There are quite a few roads that lead off of the main 4-wheel drive road. There are some bears back there. I do not know if the road is open yet as it is not maintained. WARNING: Not maintained can get your heat pumping as it follows a cliff for quite a ways. I saw one hunge bear along the road after the road house on the right out in the tundra 2 years ago.

Have a great time Matt and good luck.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too much snow

Still too much snow and the trail was closed :( ....sooooo it's back to the Kenai Sat/Sun. Hope to camp at the lake across from the Mystery Hills -- drop by and say "hi" :D Saturday night if you're up there. -- dark blue Dodge Ram with a camper shell.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too eager?

OK, so maybe I was a bit too eager and cabin fever has taken over... No bears spotted this weekend on the Kenai Peninsula. I think I'll clean the garage today and do whatever my wife tells me to do...so I can get out again next weekend :grin: . Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Glassing

I was out in the boat yesterday afternoon and glassed all the way from the harbor to Shoup Bay for bears. Nothing. Still appears to be a lot of snow up high. Even though we had temps. of 67 degrees yesterday. I am headed out this afternoon for kings and line wetting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dave, let us know how the fishing went. I'll be heading about 60 miles out of whittier 14 May looking for some Black Bear, thought I may take a rod. I just hope things turn around in the next few weeks and them bears start heading out in numbers. :sniper:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts