Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why I remember hunting elk up on the north fork of the Gila River back in 83. Them high country canyons was so far across we salted our lead balls before we shot a elk to keep the meat from spoiling before we could get over to them......

Yes sir, they was so big we camped right beside em for nigh on a month, eating em the whole while, before we could get them in a poke we could tote. Yes sir, them was big elk......

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nice! ;D

Nothing off the top of my head but check out the book Poredevil's Beaver Tales by Edward Louis Henry. Its 24 funny tall tales about mountain men in "hip-sprung verse". His Temple Buck Quartet series of novels are worth reading too. Right up there with Terry C Johnstons Carry the Wind series. I'm just starting the novel Life in the Far West by George Frederick Ruxton which has already had a couple good tall tales in it. If you're not familiar with him he spent time in the west in the 1840s.

Look forward to hearing some tall tales!

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
here's one I read in Outdoor Life 45 or 50 years ago. don't recall now if it was a true story or if it was fiction.

an old feller who lived back in the woods wass renowned for his prowess as a poacher. everybody knew it but no proof was ever to be had. a new game warden came on the scene & swore he'd catch him if it was the last thing he did. he hid in the brush near the cabin to wait time after time. every time the old poacher would come to the door yell "no sense layin' out there getting; frostbit warden, come in & get ya a cup of coffee." he swore to be more careful next time but again, the old poacher came to the door & yelled "come on in outta that rain & get a cup of hot coffee warden, you'll catch yer death layin' out there." this went on for years 'til finally the old poacher was on his death-bed. determined to solve the mystery the warden went to see him & asked "all them times I laid for ya to catch you poachin' & every time you knew I was there so, I just gotta know. how did you know I was there?" with a twinkle in his eye the old poacher told him, "**** warden, I never did know. i'd just go to the door & holler for ya. if you came in i'd fix ya a cup of coffee. if ya didn't I went huntin'."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts