Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a FFL Dealer and I have recently noticed that Lipsey's and some other distributors are offering a .223,.22-250, .204 and I believe .243 in a Laminated Thumbhole TALO special. Are these rifles with a Boyd stock and H&R for-end or just exactly what are they. My cost is around $280 + S&H are they worth it? I'm considering adding a 22-250 or .204 to my collection but I could buy a standard model and do my own stock for similar $$$. Thanks in advance - F50

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Anyone seen a TALO special???

Yes Quick just like that. Lipsey's has them as TALO's but Jerry's and Zanders have them as just Lam T-Hole. Does the 22-250 have a fluted barrel? - F50

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts

Says it does, H&R does offer the 22-250 in a 24" fluted Ultra Varmint, I have one of them, too, but with the Choate Varmint stock. ;)

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GSB28T5

NEF/H&R Ultra Varmint Rifle
Manufactures Number: SB2-8T5

CALIBER 22-250

ACTION TYPE SINGLE SHOT

24" Fluted bull barrel
Overall length 40"
Weight 7 LBS
Black matte finish
single shot
Comes with scope mount and hammer extention
Cinnamon brown laminate thumbhole stock
Ventilated recoil pad
Sling swivel studs

www.hr1871.com

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts

Might be a duh ? but what is TALO ? Thanks Kurt

·
Registered
11 Posts

Guys,
I just signed on and am an avid NEF shooter. Not following this entire thread, is the Ultra-Varmint w/Thumbhole stock readily available or in a limited quantity?

As I have a Bull barrel 17-cal sporter, would I be able to swap out my synthetic and replace with this stock?

If so, where would I purchase the Stock "Only" ??

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts

Welcome to the forum, NEF-17! ;) The Boyd's laminated thumbhole stocks are available in camo and cinnamon from H&R for $122.50 shipped, although they may be out of stock from time to time, ALL current production H&R stocks fit all frames with exception of the 10ga/12ga slug gun forends, please read the FAQs and Help sticky, lots of good info in there for ya. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts

Oh boy now ya done it . Just what I needed to find TALO. Kurt

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

man i love that stock that really needs to be my next handi

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The advantage a consumer has over a dealer is he or she is usually holding in their hands that which they are about to purchase. I received my H&R "TALO Exclusive" yesterday and found it to be just a standard Handi with a Boyds(I think) thumbhole stock. The laminate on the stock and for-end are not a good match. I assume the rifle comes in as a Ultra and they just change out the stock. I have had 4 TALO Buffalo Classics and they were specially engraved and serial numbered but this is a disappointment. It did not even have a fluted barrel. I will call it my $296 mistake or add a long stock to it and hope it shoots. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Best to everyone - F50 :(

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I just saw one on a used rack (it looked like a new trade-in) a few weeks ago for $399. Thats right, THREE hundred and ninety nine dollars. I asked "how many extra barrels come with it?" Zero. Just the gun. As of last night it was gone, so someone got hosed a lot harder than you.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Sorry to hear that Gary, does it have a 22" or 24" barrel? The forend not matching can be corrected by H&R, they've done that in the past, contact em and see how they want to handle it to get the forend swapped for one that matches. I've sent em pics to get a stock replaced before. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Barrel appears to be a standard contour so I would assume 22" it was advertised to be 24" I'll check when I go home at lunch. I was expecting a 24" fluted - SURPRISE
Thanks for the info Quick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts