Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a thread last year about some people pouring Rocktite into the hollow stocks and forearms of the heavy hitting calibers to add more weight compensating for the lightness of the Handi design which I am guessing eases the sharpness of the recoil. Expanding on that effort I have wondered about adding a bit lead shot to the mixture as it could add weight in hurry but have not read where anyone added extra weight to the Rocktite mixture. Figured I would turn to the one spot where such experimentation is likely to have occurred.

So my question is would it be going to far to add a few ounces of bird shot to the Rocktite that will be added into the holes in the forearm to fight against barrel rise? What about in the stock especially in the part closest to the gun and only use Rocktite in the rearward part. Just wondering if an extra pound of finished weight above the Rocktite by itself will do much good or be to much?

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I've even been known to add some shot to the wood stocked Pardners also. Just loosen and slid the butt pad to the side, poor some in, add a piece of rag to keep it from rattling then replace the pad. If I was to do the same with a hollow stock I would fill a pill container with it, place the pill container in a piece of rag and shove it in there. I wouldn't do anything permanent to it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Add the shot inside a thin cloth bag or something to keep the shot from getting wedged around the stock bolt head and thus causing a socket not to be able to fit onto the bolt head. Yeah- I know..... Captain obvious here learned the hard way. - thejanitor

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I used a tied sock with shot in my first .45-70. It worked well and didn't rattle. I later put a laminated stock on it. I have two steel weight bars that came out of other Handis

Pete

·
Registered
226 Posts
4 round of 12 ga. 2 slugs, 2 #6 in the Topper "Buck" slug gun....and a pill bottle with matches and cotton balls.
Been in the since the 1970's.....take them out a rotate them every few years or so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Use rubber mulch. I've experimented with lead shot or sand in socks & steel bar weights and found that the rubber chunks in rubber mulch when filled about 2/3-3/4 full worked twice as good as anything else. The vibration is absorbed nicely by the rubber and the fact it shifts on the shot(when not filled up too much) is similar to effect you get with mercury recoil reducers.
Plus there is no worries about noise and shot floating around. It's dirt cheap too:)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
only thing inside my syn stocks is
large pieces of styrofoam cut more
or less to shape then compressed
and shoved inside the hollow spot.
this is for reducing the noise of the
hollow stock, and is removable for
access to the stock bolt.
for recoil reduction when using my
.444 or another kicker i wear a past
pad during any sustained fire such
as sighting or load work. i don't use
anything hunting.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
Ranger99 said:
only thing inside my syn stocks is
large pieces of styrofoam cut more
or less to shape then compressed
and shoved inside the hollow spot.
this is for reducing the noise of the
hollow stock, and is removable for
access to the stock bolt.
for recoil reduction when using my
.444 or another kicker i wear a past
past during any sustained fire such
as sighting or load work. i don't use
anything hunting.
Me too, if I wanted a heavier stock I'd swap to a laminate stock, synthetic stocks are light to carry, so no weight is wanted, and the lead sled works great for bench work. Just adding a Limbsaver pad(#s in FAQs) to the synthetic stocks is usually enough for me. I once had a 375H&H TC Encore with t-hole stock, I filled the stock cavity with #9 shot, added several pounds to the weight of the rifle for bench work, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to pack it around hunting! ::)

Tim

·
Registered
791 Posts
bucmeister, I have a 45-70 Handi with a pallet wood stock and I put a Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad on it, works great. I would try that first, especially if you plan on carrying that Handi very much. Enjoy you new toy and take care, John.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts