Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I am considering going to a tang or peep sight on my Marlin 336CS 3030. Thing is, I don't have a clue as to which companies make them, or if I need to change the front sight post, or whatever. Gun has the original factory Marlin sights, but I also have a Buck Ridge fixed 4 power scope on it. Any of you cats out there use one of these kind of sights? I am used to using a peep sight from shooting m16A1 rifle when I was in the Army. I think the tang style looks kind of neat on there though. How difficult is installation? Any information you can offer will be appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tang or peep style sights for Marlin 336CS

Look at Williams for a Firesight, FP-94/36, Lyman for a peep sight or peep and post combo. Lyman also has a tang sight, but I wouldn't recommend it. On my 336CS, it sits too close to my face. Cost me $200 in custom made polarized prescription lenses when the recoil tried to shove the sight into my eye.

At that point, I went with a Lyman that mounts on the side via the drilled and tapped holes. I also believe that there is a firm (XS Sights, something like that) that makes a ghost ring sight to mount on the top of the receiver, using the holes drilled and tapped for the scope.

You can find these on-line at Cabelas, Midsouth Shooter's Supply (probably the cheapest), or Midway USA.

One thing, you might have to change the height of your front sight. I was lucky and didn't have to, but every firearm (and shooter) is different.

Last year, I switched my Lyman Peep over to a Williams peep with the Firesight. Because of health problems, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. If you could , let me know what you decide on and how well it works out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I'd go with a Marbel tang sight. Had two Lyman's and never was satisfied. They had play in them which doesn't make for accurate shooting. I finally went with a Marble. Rock solid and it also has windage adjustment capability.

·
Registered
659 Posts

A windage adjustable tang site is the way to go if your into cowboyshooting. they work well, but hunting you got to remember to flip it up and watch, you do not catch the site in some brush.

I have a williams side mounted peep on my Marlin 336as well as the 6.5 swede. These rifles are used for hunting and also see a lot of use at the range with out any problems.
Mind you they are screw adjustable both ways so there is nothing to come loose.

Some of the cheaper sites windage is ajutable by loosing the two screws on top, and drifting th site over on way or the other. This site I could see working loose over time.
Some peeps are bolted on the top of the reciever ,so check out what suits you best.
I have found the front site needed to be changed along with the peep

Happy

·
Registered
170 Posts

Personally I prefer a receiver mounted peep sight over a tang mounted sight because I'm used to having my thumb where the tang sight mounts, and the receiver mount just seems more rugged, less fragile than a tang sight especially where I mainly use it hunting wild boar in the rain forest alot of times crawling on all fours in the underbrush. If my rifle spent more time at the range as a target gun then i'd deffinately consider a tang sight. That being said my Marlin has a Williams 5D receiver sight which did not need a new front sight, and my Winchester has a XS Ghost Ring sight which came with a higher front sight which was needed, both are excellent sights I highly recommend.

·
Registered
6 Posts

As others also mentioned, I prefer the receiver mounted sights. When I was looking for sights for my Marlin Guide Gun, I was looking for something that was similiar to the M16A2 sight picture that I had come to really like. I ended up choosing a set from Brockman's Custom Gunsmithing. The front sight in particuliar is winged like the M16's. Other brands of rear sight include XS Systems and Wild West Guns.

Two good source to browse are MidwayUSA (www.midwayusa.com) and Brownells (www.brownells.com). Between the two, they should have a nice variety to look at.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts