Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a local deer processor showed me a hide he tanned with deer brains.he said it worked with any animal using its own brain.this was a fur on hide,turned out fairly soft. :D

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
That's the way it was done for a long time. Sure is a lot of work, but boy oh boy they sure are nice when its done!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hide Tanning

When I was in high school I had a metal shop teacher who was into these mountain man rendezvous. He told me that every animal has enough brains to tan its own hide....except humans. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ditto, I believe that the human species is the only mammal with enough brains to tan his own hide BEFORE meeting his end. Humans are also smart enough to both tan their hide AND hide their tan. Then there are those humans (but none on this forum) that don't have the brains to tan a hide at all. And some have brains that are tan and hides that are smart. Go figure! :wink:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ok, so I get this "coyote", skin it nice and neat, cut out what brains is left, and then..........What do you do when you got fresh hide in one hand and brains in the other? How do you tan that hide? Nothing like was down out behind the woodshed, i'm sure.......

send me an email and help me learn how to tan. would love to learn how to make those hides worth keeping around the house. Better than spending $250 to let someone else do it......

Steve :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
SteveP, I ahve been tanning hides now for about 15 years. I do it when I get enough deer hides that will be worth while. I do not like the brain tan method. I use the bark tan method and it leaves the hide a dark brown with red undertone. These golden and white skins that you see these reborn mountain wearing are not what was available. The brain tan method was used but not prefered. Bark tan is easy and leaves the hide well tanned and can be made into all sorts of useful items.Tryit.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I don't know any tan methods. Have not been able to find anything sans buying a bunch of chemicals to do it. Tried cleaning up a hide and using a salt method to tan it. two smelly weeks later I tossed it in the garbage. Would appreciate any info on tanning. Had three elk hides and 6 deer hides in the last two years. Left them for the coyotes. Would prefer to tan them, but wont bring them home until I learn how. HOW do you do it?

Steve :roll:

·
Registered
68 Posts
SteveP, I will post later the title of the book that I started to tan hides with. I have been involved with the war effort and not been able to get back on line.Tryit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SteveP, the book is by James Churchhill and the title is The Complete Book of Tanning furs and Hides. It is a very good read and highly informative. I have about 30 hides in my shop freezer and I guess the old tanning vat will get filled soon.Tryit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
A book I have is HOME TANNING & LEATHERCRAFT SIMPLIFIED by Kathy Kellogg. Publisher is Williamson Publishing. It covers various methods to tan for leather and for fur including Alum-Salt, Acid-Salt, Vegetable tanning, mineral tanning oil tanning and other tanning methods including brain tanning.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Well nobody mentioned using COPPERTONE I guess it wont work. :D JIM

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been brain tanning for about thirty years. The best manual I have ever seen is the Deerskins into Buckskins book. Thier methods work well.
I tan from 35-50 hides a year, and it's easy, if boring to do. Braintan has all other methods beat for clothing. The clothes breath, and a shirt made from muley doe, or antelope is light as a feather, and as cool as cotton inthe summer, and a good insulating layer in the winter..

Here's some of what I make with them.

http://www.geocities.com/waksupi1/UnNamed.html?953663499190

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello fellow trappers,hunters,etc.im new here and would like to know if anyone could email me on how to use bark to tan my furs,and how to use brains as well,thanx alot,trent.....aka.......coondog

·
Registered
100 Posts
tanning

The book "Tan Your Own Hide" is a good one. Has a recipie for soap tanning that's real easy. Of course the smaller the critter the easier. Soap was for hair off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts