Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advocate: I recently read a write up on those in Gun Tests and it was very positive. They gave them high marks for accuracy, reliability and looks. Mikey.

·
Registered
198 Posts

I tried one and it did not fit my hand. Too long of a reach to the trigger and the angle of pull felt wrong.

I now have a Charter 2000 Bulldog Pug under my left arm as I type. It is in a Kramer "T" shirt type carrier. The ergonomics of the piece just fit me better, and it is American made, too!

If I use it, it WILL be taken away, probably never to be seen again, for evidence. It runs fine, very reliable; a plus is the cost of under 300.00 in stainless. I can keep shots on the paladin target head zone, double action, of course, at 10 yards.

Good enogh for me!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Snub

I have a steel .44 spc. Taurus snub. I love this little powerhouse. I use 240gr SWC and 9gr of BLUEDOT and a .44 shot capsule stuffed with #6 shot. Many rats, rabbits, snakes, and a few deer have bought the farm under the Taurus's help. I have no experience with any of the lightweight pistols.
Rick

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Taurus .44 special revolvers

I agree with L-ROY, I had one that I sold before I ever even fired it. The grip to trigger reach was too far. Bought a Rossi 5 shot snub 44spl and like it alot better. KN

·
Registered
29 Posts
re:rossi .44

KN:
I also bought a rossi mdl. 720 .44 spl. when they first came out. Mine has the unfluted cylinder. Figured it wouldn.t hold up to much shooting. I quit counting at 740 rds. through it. Its still tight and going strong. A nice little gun. Plus its smaller than the taurus or the smith & wesson 696.

PS. I never liked or cared for the charter .44's at all.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Charter 2000

Happy,
The Charter 2000"s are MUCH better than they were in the past.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Kramer T-shirt gun packer

L-Roy, I have been pondering about getting one of the Kramer undershirt gunpackers. Seems to me like they would be a comfortable and secure way to carry your evener. I read that it is important that you don't get the shirt too large because it is important that the weapon is carried close to your body instead of loosely. Can you tell me if you ordered the same size as your regular t-shirt or one size smaller? Also, did you get the short shirt or the full length one that can be tucked in your britches? And does a guy need two so he can wear one while the other is in the wash?

I realize that these are not fast draw rigs, but the situation that I am in at work all day long dictates this sort of completely out-of-sight carry. I have been making out with a Kel-tek .32 semi-auto in a front pants pocket, but don't really like it cause it pulls my pants down, even as light as it is. I would rather carry something a bit more substantial as far as caliber goes anyway, and I think the shirt would let me carry my lightweight snub. What I am doing now does not allow fast access either.

Is your Charter arms comfortable all day long? What does it weigh? Does it have an exposed hammer, and if so, do you feel that at all, or does it wear against your outer shirt? Do you experience any problems with perspiration (sweat!!) while carrying in this manner? I tend to be a heavy sweater, especially in the summer, so I am sure that the weapon would require daily attention. I guess I could try to scrape up enough bucks for a titanium or stainless piece, but I sure hate to quit a perfectly fine piece that I like.

Any info you care to share about this method of carry would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for answering all these questions.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Ken,
I ordered the same size as I usually wear. I got the full length to be tucked in and it is extremely comfortable. Yes, I feel one needs two, for obvious reasons!

No, it is not my preference for fast acquisition, but its intent is for deep concealment, such as "Thunder Wear".

My Charter 2000 if comfortable for all day wear (sometimes for as many as twenty hours straight). It is the exposed hammer and does not wear the outer shirt, nor is it in any uncomfortable. It weighs 23 ounces, unloaded. The only daily attention mine gets is a casual wipe down at the end of the day. I work in an indoor environment, and too, do sweat, but experience no problems whatsoever from that.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Thanks so much for the good info, Don. I am gonna order one, I think. Gotta decide now whether to order directly from Kramer, or from a supplier. Do you have any recommendations about that??

·
Registered
198 Posts
Order

Ken,
I don't know about ordering from a supplier as I ordered mine direct. It took about two weeks to arrive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Taurus 44 Special

:eek: I got a Taurus 431, 5 shot with a 4 inch barrel. You would have to pry it from my corpse to get it. I would like to get another in a 2 or 3 inch barrel. They are simply the best.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Rosi 720 too.

I think it is the best of the bunch in small .44 D.A.'s. too bad it is no longer made. I shoot 240 gr. cast in it, and it should hold up forever. For cary I load it with 180 gr. silvertips.

·
Registered
757 Posts
44sp

Chuck
Are you sure Taurus is not making the 445 (44sp 2")? I have been thinking of replacing my ColtDet. Sp 38 2" with this very gun, and visited their web site last week it was a buy now going on.
Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts