Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am well aware of my limitations. I never thought that I would own or operate an MP3 Player. Now I have two of them and I still don't know what they do.

I have a smart phone, which is a sincere upgrade from the flip phone I used for decades. It is truly a computer in the palm of your hand, well it is larger than my hand as I can still palm a basketball! I don't know if it is an Android or the other. It matters sometimes. I don't know yet how to use it to its fullest. I certainly don't want to fall into a sidewalk delivery space, as a recent lady did in NYC from inattention by watching only her phone. Safety first.

Safety aside, today's technology is swiftly overcome by whatever is "brand new" tomorrow. Technology today, that is light years ahead of us Old Dogs of Yesterday, is swiftly becomming the "past" for today's breed of savvy computer sluths. The layering of new technology over old across the march of years, into decades, is not unlike the deposition of sediment in the depths of the ocean. Eventually the sedimentation solidifies into a hard pan from which there is no escape.

Were it not for my career in engineering, where it has been critical to learn to use computers, electronic files, folders, Windows, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and the myrid other software platforms and programs that make analytical calculations, studies, and design useful, efficient, and economic in the 21st Century, I believe I would also be in the befuddled ranks weary of change.

I remember when my mother and father started their computer usage. Dad was better at filing, email, word processing, et al. Mom was not so easy to convert. Her email account was one L O N G and endless string of read mail, not compartmentalized, not filed by friend, not off-line, just opened and left in its place. Finding something in her email file was agonizing. She could do it, but had difficulty with the computer filing system and the intent thereof. Later, Dad had his difficulty with cellular telephones...so do I.

When I need to hook up a new peripheral or reprogram the remote for my TV, I can figure it out, but my learning curve is so much slower today. The technology my kids and yours are inventing and experiencing daily is the "old" (to them) technology that they will one day be sending in our direction for Father's Day, Christmas, Birthday or some such. We won't be any better in our learning curve then than now, and I am perplexed now by so much in which they are intimately familiar. While the future looks bright, it is also looking dim.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
20 years ago I became a fireman. Think big dumb guy who liked grunt work. Now technology is in every aspect of the job. I can't ignore it anymore. I can't do my job without it. It's not free. There is a cost. Young men are good with the tech stuff. But need to be taught how to swing a hammer. A skill I learned at age 12. Some of the tech is pretty amazing though.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Everything comes at a price. Young people can do anything with a smartphone and other electronic devices, but have almost no motor skills.

If they have a flat tire they can summon help with the touch of a button, but are totally incapable of changing the tire themselves.

·
24,482 Posts
Everything comes at a price. Young people can do anything with a smartphone and other electronic devices, but have almost no motor skills.

If they have a flat tire they can summon help with the touch of a button, but are totally incapable of changing the tire themselves.
Or they manage to put the jack on the cars body and not a structure capable of supporting the weight. Seen em do that before, punch a hole through the floor board using a bottle jack.

·
Registered
16,180 Posts
Now isn't THAT special! ha!
so many young men raised without a dad to show them stuff, my grandson included.
I got the greatest message form him last year from college telling me of the many times he has fixed something and his friends say "how do you know how to do that?" with him replying, "my grandpa showed me how".
Of course teaching him how to pick a lock was just for fun.

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
I swear on a stack of bibles that this is true: I know a man who needed help checking the tire pressure on his $25k+ touring motorcycle.

·
Administrator
26,088 Posts
Regretfully I must soon tackle new technology. I had hoped to never face this day. My current cell phone is an old Samsung flip phone and according to Matt it is analog not digital tech. He told me one day it just wouldn't work on the new digital towers and the last time I tried to make a call I found out that day has come.

I've been on the phone with Verizon trying to convince them to ship me a new flip phone with my same number on it and set on the same plan I now have which averages roughly $5 a month or so no more than I use it. After being handed off to another representative twice the third guy finally fessed up that what I want is not obtainable via phone.

So now I have to go somewhere and buy a phone and asked the folks selling it to me to contact Verizon to arrange for my same phone number and plan and hope it all happens as requested.

Believe me I have seriously considered just dropping it and not having one at all. On average I'll make at most a half dozen calls a year on the cell phone and since only Matt and Faye know the number of it I sure don't get calls on it. Both of them know that if I'm out and about I'm not gonna have it turned on so calling me on it wouldn't reach me.

NO I AM NOT getting a smart phone.

·
24,482 Posts
Chevron provided us with some of our gadgets and our wifi. We had to go with smart phones it's all interconnected somehow. I didn't have to get one but I did. What the heck they pay for all the service anyway. We owe our souls to the company store lol. It reminds me of that SciFi novel where there wasn't anymore governments, huge corporations owned, regulated, and operated everything. But space travel became a huge priority to them NASA no longer existed.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
When I was working my last job (city engineer) I carried two flip phones. When I retired (10 years ago), I kept my personal phone as we moved to pastor a small rural church. When we moved back to Oregon and complete retirement, I got rid of my cell phone because people I didn't want to talk to at a cost/minute rate kept calling it and not our home phone. When my sister went into the hospital the first time, I took off for town in my old truck and it broke down. I couldn't call my wife who was shopping with the other car, because I had her cell phone so I had to call my son-in-law's parents to come and pick me up and get me to the hosp. So I got another flip phone which I keep turned off except when I want to call some one (no pay phones any more) or if I want my wife to be able to call me.
Now we volunteer with the local CERT group and they want to use some kind of a callout program on a smart phone. My wife got a smart phone a few months ago so now if they have a callout, they will either call me at home or call her cell phone and she will tell me (since we are normally together). I like my flip phone especially when it is turned off and I'm not getting ads on it, but the technology is getting way more than I want to deal with. Sounds like some others are feeling that way too.

·
Registered
19,179 Posts
My daughter and son-in-law have Iphone 7s plus a small wrist thing so they don't have to pull out there phone so much.
I think the Iphone has to be nearby for it to work; they make me think of Dick Tracey.

·
24,482 Posts
My daughter and son-in-law have Iphone 7s plus a small wrist thing so they don't have to pull out there phone so much.
I think the Iphone has to be nearby for it to work; they make me think of Dick Tracey.
Oh it's getting worse than that Bugeye. Apple is pushing ahead with holographs and virtual reality head sets.

·
Super Moderator
10,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My hunting host in South Carolina was given a cell phone by his upline State government administration and told to keep it on him, which he did at all times while at work. When the State office in Columbia, SC could not reach him - after months of attempts - his boss DROVE TO (about an hour and 15 minutes one way) and showed up at the rural office in Union, SC where my friend worked as the Regional boss (why the big boss didn't just call on the land line is a wonder even today).

Upon reproach for not having his cell phone TURNED ON, and whcn asked why, my friend said these immortal words: "The cell phone is for MY convenience. When I need to make a call, I turn it on. Otherwise, I keep it turned off." His boss was not happy that day and my friend had to "go on a leash" and keep it turned on while at work. Even turned on all the time was insufficinet for my friend to "get the hang" of cell phone use. Forget text. Forget Contacts. Forget Aps. Forget locks. Forget voice messages. He refused to conform and in that he has had a much simpler, less complicated, and more enjoyable life.

Attachments

·
9,530 Posts
Young people can do anything with a smartphone and other electronic devices, but have almost no motor skills.
Once upon a time, long, long ago, Georgia Tech was on my beat. As I drove around i noticed that most all of the students had the obligatory slide rule on their belts. I wonder if the students now know what a slide rule is... If they do they probably classify it right there with an abacus! :tango_face_grin:

·
24,482 Posts
Yea, that last time that Niska was out in California visiting family. She " accidentally " dropped her company cell phone into the Pacific Ocean lol. Oops my bad ;). It didn't take LA long to overnight her another one. :(

·
Super Moderator
10,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Slide Rule...omg. We have one, or my associate does now, in his garage, that was a Teaching Slide Rule. The thing is 8-feet long (each piece of two pieces) and 2-feet tall of 1/2-inch thick wood (hardwood not plywood). It has a plexiglass slide that is 12-inches in width and a crosss-hair on the slide in red that is an inch wide. Since this is an Aerospace Office, and the "new administration" here didn;t want to see it any longer, we took it down and off to the garage it went. We used to compute BUILDINGS, FOUNDATIONS, BRIDGES, LUNAR LANDINGS, TRAJECTORIES, and all things ROCKET SCIENCE on them.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Slide Rule...omg. We have one, or my associate does now, in his garage, that was a Teaching Slide Rule. The thing is 8-feet long (each piece of two pieces) and 2-feet tall of 1/2-inch thick wood (hardwood not plywood). It has a plexiglass slide that is 12-inches in width and a crosss-hair on the slide in red that is an inch wide. Since this is an Aerospace Office, and the "new administration" here didn;t want to see it any longer, we took it down and off to the garage it went. We used to compute BUILDINGS, FOUNDATIONS, BRIDGES, LUNAR LANDINGS, TRAJECTORIES, and all things ROCKET SCIENCE on them.
Years ago I got two teaching sliderules for my collection and I always kept a sliderule in my desk when I practiced engineering. Now we live in a two room cabin and they all are packed up somewhere. I do still keep one close to my desk in the living room. I did meet a lot of younger engineers who didn't have a clue how to use a sliderule and had a hard time understanding how it could work.

When my daughter (now in her 30s) was in grade school, I took a morning and taught her class how to make a sliderule that would just add and subtract (since that is all a sliderule does, add and subtract logarithms). They thought that was kind of neat.

·
9,530 Posts
Ah! the E6B! I learned how to use one in flight school!

I always assumed they were still in use until my former son-in-law, a Marine Pilot at the time, told me they used hand held computers... And that was a good many years ago!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Ah! the E6B! I learned how to use one in flight school!

I always assumed they were still in use until my former son-in-law, a Marine Pilot at the time, told me they used hand held computers... And that was a good many years ago!
I think that I still have my old one somewhere. I have not used it since I bought my first electronic one in the early 1990s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts